Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:28:45 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion?  (Read 99614 times)
GoFast88
« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2005, 12:07:30 pm »

Where are you going to get it Dyno'd? I would like to do mine, one of these days.
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2005, 12:19:15 pm »

DL motorsports in Burlington.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2005, 01:28:51 pm »

Oddly enough I couldn't get the car to idle properly with Aarons maps , when I loaded alans base maps the car idled right down. IT does run rich though . I have an appt for the Dyno in 2 weeks.

That’ll most likely be IAC position or throttle screw position.  Or it could be the idle setting, my maps tell the engien to idle at 1200 rpm until the motor is warm.

I have a G-Tech meter now so soon I’ll have better tables for performance. (ie. What spark advance to use and what fuel to use)

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2005, 11:11:59 am »

Got the car aligned yesterday , Drove it all day , used a ton of gas. The car seems to have an oil leak somewhere , and is still hitting 220 on the temp gauge. Im hoping a final purge of the system will fix this. I put in some redline watter wetter as well.

The clutch slave was a bitch to bleed , it would work fine for an hour or so , then air would get in. We finally traced it to a loose connection. We removed the flex line to the slave , wrapped the threads in teflon tape and everything is good.

Put in new speakers too!

Slammed Fiero
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2005, 09:14:54 am »

I made the trip from Kingston to oakville yesterday without any issues. The car ran alright , sucked a lot of gas and there seems to be a Miss when you push it , either that or it's running super rich. It goes to get Dynoed this friday

Any ideas as to why it would be missing?? Aaron??
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2005, 06:41:46 pm »

If your not using my maps there are a lot of reasons.

I had the same miss for a while.

Check all of the acceleration enrichment maps to make sure none of them are under 100%
AE vs TPS: should peak at 117 to 125% at about 80.
Rate of change of MAP sensor: Should be around 20 to 25 on the left and about 40 on the right.

I'd really have to be looking at the program running before I could give you a good answer.

If you are interested, a friend of mine and I are going to be doing some serious tuning soon (I have a G-Meter now).  Perhaps we could meet up somewhere. You still have my number?

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
northfiero
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2005, 12:50:29 pm »

Aaron, I have a new one for ya!   Cheesy

Ever since it started getting warmer, it's been idling poorly, revving up and down, and nearly stalling sometimes.  My fuel map is flat in the idle area, as is the spark map.  I thought it might be due to running rich, but it does the same thing even when I'm in closed loop.

Any ideas as to what's causing it? 

Also, with gas prices as they are, can I get away running 15.2:1 at idle without burning up?  16:1?  I know some cars are there already, I just don't know if the northstar is ok there.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2005, 01:35:30 pm »

It’s got to be IAC and throttle plate adjustment.  Mine will still hunt from time to time, I’m trying to figure out exactly what it’s looking for, but it really hasn’t been much of a concern of mine as of late because I’m focusing all my attention on waiting for it to stop raining and tuning the power band. But when I do get back to it I’ll post my findings.

What Allen (CHRFab) does is run the IAC a lot more open than I do and compensates by closing the throttle plate a bit.  I may try something similar later to see if it gets a smoother idle.  I just don’t see the point of eliminating the IAC travel unless it’s not linear (I don’t know the answer to this question either yet).

As for running at 16:1, it’s up to you.  I would watch the engine temp very carefully, if it starts to climb too much get some more fuel in there.  With the stock radiator I have found that the motor will idle too hot if I run the mixture too lean.

Aaron

northfiero
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2005, 02:17:44 pm »

It’s got to be IAC and throttle plate adjustment.  Mine will still hunt from time to time, I’m trying to figure out exactly what it’s looking for,

Have you tried playing with the "PID" mentioned in the manual?  Mine seems to be locked out via the software, but I can adjust it by opening the .950 file manually in notepad. 

It seems as though that may be where to head next, since you didn't quite have the answer I was looking for  Tongue
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2005, 05:10:36 pm »

I didn't know that you could open the file in notepad.

Theres a bunch of stuff I want to change that has been locked out.

Thanks for the tip.

Aaron

northfiero
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2005, 05:26:17 pm »

No problem.  In my map, the derivative is 20, Prop. is 10, integral 32.  I just scroll down until I find those consecutive numbers...  If you want an actual line number, lmk, and I can look it up.  According to the manual, the derivative is what keeps the engine from "overshooting" the desired idle, which I think is what needs to be changed.  Even in their examples, that number is typically 64-ish. 

I think what happens is something causes the engine to dip a little bit, so the IAC opens a lot, and the idle shoots to 1000, then the IAC closes almost completely, and nearly stalls the engine.  And then it oscillates.  Since this is my daily driver, I need to get this sorted out ASAP.  I can't have it stalling (although it hasnt yet...)

Just tried 64 for derivative...  oddly, it was difficult to start (what??), and seemed to make the problem worse.  I also noticed that it wasn't a problem with the IAC per se.  It was fluctuating wildly with the IAC at 107!!  Makes me wonder if I have mechanical problems.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 11:48:02 pm by northfiero » Logged
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2005, 09:51:36 am »

I didn't know that you could open the file in notepad.

Theres a bunch of stuff I want to change that has been locked out.

Thanks for the tip.

Aaron

Funny you mention stuff has been blocked out. When I uploaded you maps I noticed I have quite a few more options than you do for some reason.

I reloaded your maps last night and opened up the throttle plate ,t he car runs a lot better ,should be a good baseline for the Dyno tomorrow (WooHooo) Still has a slight miss @ WOT , but throttle response and overall power in greatly improved. On my testdrive I tried to get a new Mustang GT to play with me , but he didn't want too  Angry  he's lucky too.
northfiero
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2005, 11:24:59 am »

Slammed,

You should copy/paste the .950 file here so myself and others can find out what we're missing  Afro
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2005, 11:45:42 am »

I will post em up tomorrow. No differences in fuel or spark maps , but everything else seems to have added cells with stuff I didn't touch. Im sure we all have the same capability, I seem to remember there is an "advanced" tab I clicked on

The Dyno will tell for sure , I will have Numbers posted Tomorrow night with Aarons maps and whatever else the do to tune it up. Probably won't be til later @ night I have booked 2 hours to have it done right.

Then on goes the Nitrous Nozzle kit for even more fun Smiley
northfiero
« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2005, 12:44:47 pm »

I seem to remember there is an "advanced" tab I clicked on

Ha!  You're right!  Under about:version, you click the advanced tab, and it gives you additional features under idle air and idle spark. 

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Jump to: