Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:43:21 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Lookin for « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lookin for  (Read 3661 times)
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« on: August 19, 2004, 11:38:36 am »

I need a brake line nut, the one that connects the front line with the junction block at the back where the rear lines connect too, it is larger than the rear line nuts on the same block.
2ML67
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 02:54:37 pm »

If you have a parts car near the fitting at the front of the line at the proportioning valve is the same size and doesn't get exposed to crap like rear one so should be rust free. Dan
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 03:14:08 pm »

Thanks Dan,  I don't have a parts car, but I will look to see if anyone has one that I could have that fitting. I'm not driving down to your place again for that part.

Are you coming to Ottawa soon. Grin
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 09:03:24 am »

Kitten & I may have a parts car arriving this weekend.  Mildly amusing story behind it, but I'll leave that for when it arrives and I can post a photo.  Smiley

In any case if the parts car arrives and the nut at either end of the line is salvageable, it's yours.  Stand by...

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 08:48:17 am »

Haven't forgot about you Tibs, we just haven't yet got to figuring out what out of the hydraulics is salveageable and what isn't .  RGBaker's headlight relay was easy, 'cause what was left of both headlight assemblies were sitting loose in the trunk.   Roll Eyes Smiley

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 03:56:07 pm »

Has anyone replaced the line that runs from the front to the junction block in the back, it's not quite 1/4 inch, it's probably 6 mm.

I don't want to be buying expensive replacements from the fiero store.

I want to know what others have done, cause I'm stumped.
2ML67
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 06:34:24 pm »

1/4 is slightly too large so what I do is drill out carefully the fitting so the line goes through then flare it. Have done on many cars and never had a leak yet. Its some kind of metric line that no one carries or atleast not that I could find. Dan
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 06:49:04 pm »

What kind of flare do you make, the stock flare is bubble (iso), and the flaring tool I have only does metric lines.

I have two flaring tools.

Bubble (iso) tool set, flares 4.75mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm line.

Double flare (45 degree) tool set, flares 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 line.
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 02:01:48 pm »

I've talked to Dan about my problem with the brake line, the good ol fashion way, on the phone. What Dan does is he drills out the fittings to accept the 1/4 inch line, then he flares the line using, a metric bubble flare tool. He uses the 6mm size on the flaring tool and it works, he says he never had a leak. I tried this but the key with Dan's success was he used a Snap-on flaring tool. I can't afford a Snap-on flaring tool, so I'll bend the line to roughly the stock line and get a garage that has a good flaring tool to do it for me.

For those with money just order the lines from the Fiero Store, problem solved.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 11:41:55 am »

I just used the metric nut with the imperial line.  You can get ones that fit right from CTC or UAP.  They cost $1 or something.  I have a flaring tool, no leaks (it’s not Snap-On or anything, I paid $120 for it I think).

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
steveo
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 01:53:45 pm »

Hope that was not your fiero you were doing that to. it sure sounds like a MICKEY MOUSE way of doing things. Reamber spend a little now and it will pay off in the long run. keep it stock.  Huh
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 11:09:25 pm »

Hope that was not your fiero you were doing that to. it sure sounds like a MICKEY MOUSE way of doing things. Reamber spend a little now and it will pay off in the long run. keep it stock.  Huh

It would be nice to keep things stock if a 6mm brake line was available.
I just used the metric nut with the imperial line.  You can get ones that fit right from CTC or UAP.  They cost $1 or something.  I have a flaring tool, no leaks (it’s not Snap-On or anything, I paid $120 for it I think).

Aaron

It may not be a Snap-On, but sure is expensive enough to be a good quality tool.
steveo
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 08:00:00 am »

quote from tibs sept 7 3.56 i don't want to buy the expensivepart from the fiero shop.come on it is for your brakes and it is for your baby it should last the life of the car if it does not get driven in the winter Angry P S use the proper part and you will know it is right.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 06:57:40 pm »

come on it is for your brakes and it is for your baby it should last the life of the car if it does not get driven in the winter Angry P S use the proper part and you will know it is right.

Make no mistake, the fiero store does the same sort of thing.  The size of the line when dealing with two lines that are so close in size doesn’t matter.  What does matter is the fit, wall thickness, fluid flow velocity and the wall flex.

All the fiero store does is buy a bunch of brake line a few nuts, and bend the line on a fixture (yes it’s a fixture not a jig, I’m tired of people mixing the two up).  There is no difference between the job most people can do and what a “professional” does.  Except the cost.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
2ML67
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 08:39:41 pm »

It may be just me but steveo is starting to sound a lot like that Joe guy from racetech. trying to unload other peoples stuff and insulting home mechanics doing a good job without the need of over priced companies. Dan
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Lookin for « previous next »
Jump to: