Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:08:12 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Need Advice « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 1817 times)
runitca
« on: September 11, 2004, 01:36:36 pm »

Hi,
   I am new to the OFCF, and am looking at getting into doing a Kit Car (to keep me out of the house over the next few years!!).  I have a dilemma, regarding where to start.. I have spent the last month getting my garage ready for the project, painting the floor, walls, buying tool's and getting prepared for the upcomming adventure.
My dilemma is 1. What kit to buy 2. what donor to buy.

I have looked at a 86GT with 192,000km 6cyl, 4sp with just power window's $1800.00 there is a bit of rust in the trunk and on the rails but the guy has done brakes.

The other car is 86 base 4cyl 92,000km 5spd with nothing $1,100.00...  but no air, windows or mirror's NOT a spec of rust anywhere on the car it was owned by an older guy 60+ and say's he never drove it in the winter..

3rd is a 3/4 completed kit owned by Ari in T.O. witch includes alot of stuff for what he is asking..

I would like to do a Ferrari 355 kit so I would end up changing the motor and susp brakes ect..

does anyone have any advice on what or where i should start.

The kit I am looking at is from a Carlos in Milton I have only heard good things about him and his kit he is asking around $7000.00 But havn't had a chance to talk to someone that has completed it

There is also another kit from Udo in Kitchener for about $8500 does anyone know anything about these two kit's?

Lastly....  If someone is selling a good donor car 6cyl, 5spd, Air, window's and mirror's for a reasonable price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rob
2ML67
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 08:06:13 pm »

My advice would be to get the car mechanically done including which ever drive train you plan on using before doing the body kit. Most kits tend to limit access to certain components on the car plus do not want to be climbing in and out of engine bay once kit is complete. I personally would complete the mechanical and drive with stock body for a bit to make sure everything is ok before tearing body off. Dan
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 09:54:28 pm »

I don't have a kit but sure would like to tackle one. Unfortunately it would be a lifetime project (don't ask).

As for a donor...accept no rust!!!!! At least nothing too hard to fix.  It's amazing how rotten a nice car can be under the plastic.

A 355 will run into some cash.  I don't know the two sources you quote, but visit them to inspect the quality of the product.  Get references of builders with their product. If they are honest this is to their benefit as well.  A lot of these guys are 1 step from the end and need down payments to finish the last order. Don't be the one to get stuck.

I'll assume you know of Ari's kit car forum.  I've done some minor business with him and he seems pretty nice.  He has put a lot of effort into helping kit builders interact.

Personally, I would only build a Ferarrrrri if I could put a Northstar in it.  If he doesn't show up, look up Sandy Cowan (member here) who has an awesome Koenig replica.  He can surely point out the major pitfalls of kit building.

Gary
2ML67
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 10:53:56 am »

Is there a certain year of Fiero you are looking for or a price range as I come across Fiero's quite often for sale. If you are looking for a engine swapped good car maybe we can make a deal on a 1986 SE with a 98 3800SC and 4 speed auto. Dan
runitca
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 02:53:25 pm »

No I would like to just get my hands on a good car for a Kit..  I would like to spend around 1000-2000 but would be willing to pay more if the motor has been done or it had rims ect...
runitca
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 09:00:13 am »

Just wanted to update everyone....  I bought a 1/2 finished kit so thanks for keeping an eye out for me.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 09:18:01 am »

Great stuff!!  Now you have to show us a picture  Grin

What did you end up getting?   Ari's car?
Gary
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Need Advice « previous next »
Jump to: