Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:54:40 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 2013 emissions « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 emissions  (Read 7781 times)
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« on: January 03, 2013, 07:39:48 pm »

I interpret the new rules for hot rod as i would have to meet 87 fiero emissions  and have all visual emission equipment that came with swap motor.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/category/drive_clean/STDPROD_098201.html#1999
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:44:03 pm »

So all L67 and other engine swapped Fieros now have to have a cat unless you did the swap before 1999. That sucks but then again a hollowed out cat still looks good enough as long as the car still passes the test which most do any ways with newer engines in them. Dan
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:54:59 pm »

But will I be able to pass the test if I'm running the xpz cam?
c-l
Global Moderator
Moving UP!

Ottawa Fiero Club President

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:07:25 pm »

But what does it need to meet?

The test for my 84 4 cyl or the specs of my 2002 super charged?

......... There is always a way!
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:15:08 pm »

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/category/drive_clean/STDPROD_098206.html

Claude go here it will give you many scenarios.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:34:04 pm »

From my understanding an 84 Fiero with a 2002 engine would have to pass 84 levels. but it does not matter as only 88 and newer cars still have to deal with annual emissions tests. As for road side problems a faked CAT or hollow CAT will get past any nosy inspectors.
As far as passing with the XPZ cam I am not sure it would depend on the tune and what other mods are involved.
For me annual emissions tests are no longer a problem, will explain later. Dan
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:57:01 pm »

My fiero is an 87, I don't need a test every 2 years. I'm not worried about passing visual just worried about passing an emission test if they ask me to get one. An inspector from the ministry of environment can ask any year car to get an e-test.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 07:27:05 pm »

I think this speaks a lot about both the luck and un-lucky aspects of my swap.  I have to have tests done every two years because I have an 88 but because my motor is a 1998 I also test only as a 1980's hot rod.  That means no CAT or emissions equipment required of any kind.  I have not failed a test yet.  I have no CAT and no EGR.

It looks like everyone else might have a problem if they get road side tested.  If you do and you fail they must allow you the opportunity to have a re-test at a later date.  Emissions is easy to pass if you have foreknowledge of a test.

Also it should be noted that I recently had  my daily driver tested without a CAT attached and although the emissions report does not show it, the equipment does test for all sorts of particles that don't show up on the report that they give you (such as platinum compounds).  Although my car was running clean the equipment kicked me out of the test all three times the guy tried to test.  The equipment simply told the guys that the probe wasn't in the exhaust.  They told me that there must be an exhaust leak, and to fix it before I come back.  This was never a problem when I had my Fiero tested as a 1980's hot rod.  Anyway, later that day I put my CAT back on and tested way under the limits (the new test - two speed idle).

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:30:00 pm by aaron88 » Logged

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 08:01:12 pm »

From what I read and understood from the link I posted above If I was to get pulled over by a cop that is with a ministry of environment officer, he will check for cats, egr, pvc and evap. Each one not there is I believe a 300 hundred dollar ticket. They have done this on Merivale down from Meadowlands on a busy Friday night.

The second link shows scenarios that would happen with a swap motor.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »

I have had a few 3800SC swapped Fieros pass e-tests with out a CAT and even had my old one road side tested with no CAT and it passed. They did not look for a CAT because it passed and the guy could not get a good enough look under the car to see if it was there. Plus I refused to open the deck lid due to the trunk being there and my right to privacy unless they have just cause to force me which they agreed they did not.
I already have a nice CAT hollowed out for my next build just to be safe though. Dan
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:41 pm »

I have no issues with the emissions equipment, i plan on putting all emissions back on including cat. I have an issue with the waste of money for nothing on stupid testing.

Dan, did you connect evap when you did the swap?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:51:56 pm by lsixtyseven » Logged
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:37:49 pm »

Yes the EVAP is connected using the stock Fiero system with the Fiero charcoal canister as I was told years ago by the MTO that the EVAP system was body related not engine due to the fuel tank. Dan
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 12:27:59 am »

Here is also something you should make sure you say clearly if you do get asked for a search.  You say "I do not consent to any searches".  The whole thing is a scam.  They say something to you like "open the hood" and if you do; that's considered by law as your consent for the officer to search what he can then see.  That's why they don't just go ahead and do it themselves.

Dan; were you tested as stock or hot rod?

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 01:30:45 am »

Thanks Dan, I'm trying to read and learn all I can about the emissions on an l67. I'm doing a gen 5 blower and will have to change some stuff around. If you have any information that would help and or diagrams I would appreciate it, thanks.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 04:15:30 pm »

From my understanding they can push for you to open the hood but in the case of a Fiero because opening the deck lid exposes what is in the trunk you have more rights to refuse due to privacy of what is in your trunk. To make us open the trunk they then have to have just cause for more then just emissions violations.
Be careful though at this point the cop if he is a prick can have your car towed in for a full inspection where they will tear it apart searching and claim he thought there might be drugs or some thing.
The road side test was my suggestion to prove my car passes and solve the problem.
The road side test they did on me was for a stock 84 4 cyl Fiero because i told them the car had a stock GM engine still int it, which it sort of did.
Of course driving away after passing the test with flying colours my Daughter spoke up and said but Daddy the engine is not stock to which I said quiet till we are further away. Dan
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 2013 emissions « previous next »
Jump to: