Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:48:52 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 2013 emissions « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 emissions  (Read 7780 times)
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 07:53:47 pm »

I re-read the MTO stuff.  It seems that the MTO goes by the year of the VIN only.  So all Fiero's no matter the year if registered as a hot rod do not require any emissions equipment.  But when I went to MTO they told me there wasn't anything in their system to identify a Hot Rod other than amending the number of cylinders.  I'll have to do more research on that.

As for getting towed for a complete search, they still need probable cause.  Especially for drugs.  I heard about some of this sort of thing happening in Toronto and the owners sued and won.  Which can be handy if you need a few bucks to get the next upgrade and as long as you don't mind putting your car back together multiple times.  In some cases it was the insurance company that sued because the owner didn't technically own the car, they did.

So the long and short of it is.  If this sort of thing happens to you.  Get out your camera phone and start recording, and make sure you get it on record that you did not agree to any searches.

Here is another good tip.  Have your car E-tested even if you don't have to and keep a copy in your car as I do.  That way if it ever comes up you can show them the test results that show your vin and the fact that it was tested as a hot rod and passed.  That should ensure they have no probable cause.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
c-l
Global Moderator
Moving UP!

Ottawa Fiero Club President

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:59 pm »

Of course driving away after passing the test with flying colours my Daughter spoke up and said but Daddy the engine is not stock to which I said quiet till we are further away.

Evil

......... There is always a way!
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 08:23:46 pm »

On a side note, from what I have been told, the new machines are only equipped to handle obd2 and later, any vehicle with 3 or more error codes stored is an auto fail 75% failure rate at his shop ATM. As for hollowed cats, I've been told( not verified) that they can now tell by temp readings.

And now with the systems having camera surveillance the mechanics can't help you out even if inclined.

I can get an emissions guy to chime in if there's interest.

Your a dream.  When I wake up you'll die.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 10:37:38 pm »

They do OBD 1 on the same machine they just don't plug in.  I know because that is how they did my test on my 91 integra.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 10:41:53 pm »

As for hollowed cats, I've been told( not verified) that they can now tell by temp readings.

Probably not only temp readings.  If it's an OBD 2 car and they are plugged in, they can tell by the two O2 readings.

Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:22 am »

Big problem with OBD II if they plug in say a 88 Fiero 3800SC swapped car they will they find things like the second O2 not there and the codes turned off or with the codes off will it not show up. Just how deep does the scan go of the OBD II system during the e-test.
I turn off things like EVAP codes because I use the Fiero EVAP system and for manual tranny swaps a lot of changes are made to the program. Or is this just a problem for non hot rod classed cars. Dan
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 06:02:21 pm »

Yes and yes Aaron. They can plug in to obd1 cars but can't check for codes etc as they don't have a hard memory like obd2. I would assume that if you throw a code during the test its a fail tho.

Dan, if as the code reads they go by vin, I'd assume us swapped guys will have no end of issues as we have obd2 plugs in an obd1 car.  Then again how many etest techs will know where to find the stock plug?
Not exactly a standard location for it.

I think I'll make a call and ask

fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 06:20:14 pm »

Ok, here is the policy being followed as it applies for us
84-87 Fieros. Obd1 test, car loaded to 2500rpm
84-87 modified Fieros, fall under hot rod class, again load tested at 2500rpm. They have to pass the emissions standards for the year of the motor and are given more latitude as they are hot rods.

If you need detailed information and a "how to" prep your car to pass;
Talk to
Alex
Stagra automotive in Greely
613-821-0238

They specialize in rods and race cars in addition to the standard daily mechanics, that's to say they know all the tricks to get a modified vehicle through emissions.

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:43 pm »

Okay I'm a bit confused as to the year of motor answer.  Have they changed that part of the E-test.  I have always had my car tested as 1980 hot rod, never by the motor year.  Also there is no way they can plug into my Holley connector.

On that note why couldn't you just say that there is no port for them to plug into anyway.  The test is for emissions not computer compliance anyway.

Now I'm just more confused.

lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 11:11:31 pm »

The test is done on the year of original motor not the year of the swapped motor. This is for swaps done after 1999. This is what it says in the link I provided in the beginning of this thread.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 09:55:12 am »

I read that.  The MTO info used wording that suggested that they use the year of the swap, but that isn't what the guys doing the testing are using.  They are using the original car VIN or a generic 1980 standard.

So I guess the question is: What is it they are supposed to use?  The more the government puts the squeeze on, the more shops are going to have to do what they are supposed to.

fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:41 pm »

well as I stated, direct from the shop and the instructions given to the tech doing the e-test, given a swapped motor, they are forced to use the specs under the hot rod class,
example:
a 1982 chevy 1500 with a gas motor gets swapped for a 4bt cummins diesel( 4cyl version of a cummins found in frito lays grummans delivery truck)...
kinda hard to follow the original vehicle emissions.  the specs for the motor swapped in are used. 

I asked specifically what would happen with my 3800 fiero.
I was told that as they cant plug into the non existent ob1 port, they will follow the base line specs for the motor, not the car.  those specs are used in conjunction with a "bonus" for emission allowances for the hot rod class.  I was told that as long as I have a well running and tuned motor there should be no issues.

I don't imagine that its worth getting into a debate over oft times non specific government regulations, and as such I suggest that if anyone wants the details as they were explained to the people doing the tests, contact a knowledgeable garage and ask.

in passing, I was told that the "bonus" for JDM cars makes it next to impossible for the car to fail....

in the end I was assured that there would be no mass failing of modified vehicles. I'd assume the ensuing revolt and underground race/mod scene is more than the MOT wants to deal with..

no flaming intended and good luck to anyone unlucky enough to have to go through with an etest in the near future.

now I'm off to a heavy truck facility to have my cummins tested...

lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 06:58:32 pm »

I just talked to a friend who does e tests at one of those oil change facilities and he told me that they don't plug into obd1 cars and only plug into 98 and newer vehicles.
Firecat
Fiero Beginner

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 02:20:09 pm »

FYI just plated my car last week, and no etest required thay said , and Kevin's old car has not been on the road for years?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 2013 emissions « previous next »
Jump to: