Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:27:20 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Government « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: What do think will happen next week?
Harper will prorogue Parliament to avoid a vote   -1 (100%)
The government will allow the vote   -0 (0%)
After a losing vote, the GG will accept the Opposition as the new government   -0 (0%)
After a losing, the GG will send tell the country to the polls again   -0 (0%)
A deer will get hit by a Russian satellite in Alberta   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Author Topic: Government  (Read 1727 times)
Madscanner
Fiero Owner

« on: December 03, 2008, 04:25:31 am »

What is your best guess?

'88 Formula
'85 SE 2M6
'93 Eunos Roadster
'01 Fiesta Zetec S (for when I need more than 2 seats!)
'06 Vauxhall Astra (for when the Fiesta gets sold)
'01 Yamaha Dragstar
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:20:45 am »

Given that the GG was formerly a foreign (French) citizen, was appointed by the Liberals, and her hubby was chummy with the Separatists, I think she'll favour Dion and the gang.

The thought of the Separatists having a veto, and basically pulling the strings is appalling.  They even went over to Quebec to sign their "agreement" and it states that a majority of Canadians and Quebecers did not vote for Harper.  I thought we were all Canadians.

My favourite comment (paraphased) was from Iggy.  He said he believed the right man to be Prime Minister was Stephane Dion, at least until we turf the bugger out of his leader's job and I become Prime Minister.

The whole affair stinks.  And if they get to take power (with no legitimate excuse) then the next minority government will have the same fate because a 'precedent' has been set.

The only bright spot is I believe the west has finally had enough, and we'll soon see a full fledged western move to become their own country.

This has been brewing since Trudeau.  Too bad I'm still alive to see it happening.  Roll Eyes
87GT
Fiero Owner

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 10:44:21 am »

Unfortunately, Gary may be right. 

When that happens it's time to move to BC.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 01:00:44 pm »

What is the distinction between option 2, and options 3/4?  Does not #2 have to happen before either #3 or #4 can take place?    Huh

I hope that if Harper's crew falls, that we'll be sent back to the polls.  As much as it would mark October's election as a colossal waste of time and money, I have a no respect for the power grab which the opposition parties are playing at.  They strike me as being far more interested in political gain and control, than being an active governing body.  Also as Gary said, it creates a precedent.

Gary you pretty much echoed my thoughts with respect to the PQ having their hands on the conch.  The other two parties presumably feel that they need the extra bodies backing them in order to stage their coup, but they must be too giddy with anticipation to think straight if they truly believe that a bigoted political body which speaks for only one province is going to co-operate with them in the long run.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Madscanner
Fiero Owner

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:06:18 am »

DGuy - you're right - I could have worded things a bit better.

I've changed some of the wording and reset the votes, in case the new wording would change anyones' mind.

What's interesting about this whole business is that, not surprisingly, the majority of people had an incorrect understanding of the mechanisms of Parliament and government, particularly that we do not elect governments... We elect Members of Parliament, some of whom will form the government.

If the vote next week is held, the government loses, and the GG invites the opposition to form the government, we will still have a government formed of Members of Parliament, all of whom were elected by those who voted in October...

I'm just disappointed by the apparent hypocrisy around delaying votes (Harper condemned this when in Opposition) and around Coalitions (Harper supported this when in Opposition).

'88 Formula
'85 SE 2M6
'93 Eunos Roadster
'01 Fiesta Zetec S (for when I need more than 2 seats!)
'06 Vauxhall Astra (for when the Fiesta gets sold)
'01 Yamaha Dragstar
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:11:27 am »

rant
Actually, the biggest problem about government is that politians are involved.  Not a single politian has the interest of the country as a whole as a priority.  There are only two.  Get elected and get as much power for me so I can get elected the next time. After that is party loalty, no matter what effect on the country or electorate.

It used to be that Quebec seats were very important in obtaining a majority.  This caused the Liberals to pander to Quebec in order to stay in power for many years.  It was insane to allow a strictly one region party into the system.  Especially the Bloc as it only is interested in Quebec.  AFAIK that makes it a provincial party, not federal.  Aside from desiring the end of Canada as a country.

Somehow the fact that Quebecers now choose to elect many Bloc members in order to have them squeeze the rest of the country as dry as possible, has escaped the other parties.  They still pander to Quebec in order to gain votes that will never come.  Draw the line and treat Quebec exactly the same as any other province, no more or less.

Years of forced bilingualism, in which the upper levels of the public service regard a Quebec French/English speaker as far superior to a English/French speaker, have allowed the Quebec supporters a hugely outsized place in the seat of power.

/rant
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 10:17:52 am »

BTW, Dion is as puffed up a little prick as I ever saw.  His own party is in the middle of turfing him out and he wants to be PM based on his own letter saying he has everyone's support.  I'd like to at least see a vote that is recorded and published so that every Canadian can see where each member has chosen to put his allegiance.

That way they won't be able to squack at election time that they were against the plan.

During the last election Jack considered it a good idea to add Punjabi as an official language if he became PM.

ALL these  guys are so far out to lunch it ain't funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Government « previous next »
Jump to: