Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:17:46 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 88 Rear Sub Frame? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 88 Rear Sub Frame?  (Read 1712 times)
can machine
Moving UP!

« on: August 29, 2015, 07:34:53 pm »

I have located a southern rear 88 sub frame I might be picking up. What's involved in swapping it into my 86? It's solid mounted right? And I would have to use coil overs in the back too I guess. Anything else I'm missing?
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 08:58:56 pm »

Parking brake cables.  I think I actually have a spare set though.  I bought them,  then never installed them, and now have no need for them since I'm now hydraulic (or soon to be).

You'll need the cradle, transmission mounts, suspension links, trailing arm, knuckle, strut tower, sway bar plus end links, e-brake cables, wheel well dust guards.  Not sure what else.  I haven't actually done the swap, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Also you will have to change the alignment on the strut tower (mounting and alignment bolts in the knuckle) as the upper strut mounting position is more inboard on the 88.  So you'll have lots of positive camber otherwise.

There must be a thread on this at PFF.  Read up there.  There should be a point by point instruction set.

Good luck.

PS.  You will need all new hardware and bushings.  There is a thread on that too since you can't get stock easily anymore.

Aaron

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:00:35 pm by aaron88 » Logged

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:34:37 pm »

Thanks aaron, yeah I found out I will need to change the mounting points for the struts, I see there are adapters available or I could make my own. I'm going to try and get it complete with all the suspension and brakes. I might swap out and use Wilwood calipers like I did on the front. Thanks for the info.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:39:44 pm »

I don't think you have to change the upper mounting point.  I think you can just modify the lower strut mounting holes.....Wait.......wait.....I'm getting something.....Yes you are right.  I thought the 88's were just inboard more but I remember working on an older knuckle and the strut was centred with the bearing.  The 88 struts are offset to the front a 32.5 mm off center, since they are non steering.  That's what it shows in my CAD models.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 88 Rear Sub Frame? « previous next »
Jump to: