Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:32:50 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Upgrade dash for my Fiero « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Upgrade dash for my Fiero  (Read 5220 times)
LenzTech
Fiero Beginner

Lens Ferrario

« on: October 27, 2014, 06:29:05 am »

I have been in talks with Marty Jakolet from PISA for several weeks. I was initially interested in the complete Euro interior kit but they don't sell the upholstered kit at this time. I was conflicted- I would really like to install the kit but I am a realist and I knew I would never get it completed. I then considered the pre upholstered Artero dash but the only one he has in stock is cut for an Aspect glove box (which is no longer available...) I finally decided to purchase an un-upholstered Artero dash that is not cut for a glove box and it is being delivered to Messina where I will pick it up and being it into Canada... Now I have to source some vinyl to cover the dash and then install it.  I will let y'all know how the project goes.

Cheers
Len

Len Gaultois   BSC, MEng
Lenz Computer and Electronics
       3796 Champlain St
    Bourget, On, K0A 1E0
          613 487 7888
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:12:55 pm »

Getting actual leather from an upholstery shop isn't that expensive.  You should inquire about that too when you are looking for vinyl.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
LenzTech
Fiero Beginner

Lens Ferrario

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:27:48 am »

I considered leather but I have had better success using vinyl. Vinyl can be heated and moulded around compound curves. I have tried working with leather and  always found vinyl to be easier to work with. I agree that someone who knows what he is doing can do a great job with leather - I feel if I admit to a fault I don't have to do anything about it. Afro

Len Gaultois   BSC, MEng
       3796 Champlain St
    Bourget, On, K0A 1E0
          613 487 7888
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:38:01 pm »

Ya, I know what you mean.  When you don't know you don't know.  All I know about molding leather is using a steam head to stretch it, and then in the drying process while it's in place it shrinks where it needs to.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.  It might be a good idea to just do it in vinyl since you know how to work it.  Then try a few different small sections here and there to get a feel for the leather.  A 2 foot square section cost something like $20.  Start with the things you touch like door handles and shifter.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
LenzTech
Fiero Beginner

Lens Ferrario

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 06:14:52 am »

I went down to Massena on Friday and picked up my Artero dash. It had been delivered to a drop off site and I paid them 5.00 for the service. My initial impression was not good. The dash was put into a box made up of two packing boxes stacked back to back. That wasn't the issue; there was absolutely no packing used to protect the contents. The boxes were quite crushed and I opened it on site to determine if there was any damage. Thankfully there was not. It was more by good luck than good planning... The dash has a very rough finish and there are uncountable blemishes and dry spots in the glass work. It will require hours of prep work before it will be ready for finishing. Finally  - the cut outs for the wind shield heat/air were very crudely cut and in my opinion would have been better left uncut. I could have done a better job with a pen knife and a file.. Bottom line  - they are the only game in town but I don't think their product is worth the price. 385 USD +95 USD S&H to Massena. I had to go to Massena to pick it up and pay Canadian tax on a CAD value of 430.00.  I still have to source the covering material and do the installation. I am sure the final product will be worth the effort - but it is turning out to be a lot of effort.

Len Gaultois   BSC, MEng
       3796 Champlain St
    Bourget, On, K0A 1E0
          613 487 7888
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 07:30:22 pm »

Wow, but I'm not surprised.  Companies are like that now.  Everyone wants to make a lot of money but they don't want to do any more work than they have to.

Take your time, and make it how you want it.

Aaron

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Upgrade dash for my Fiero « previous next »
Jump to: