Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:44:16 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: I need advice. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need advice.  (Read 1765 times)
GT_Gulf
Fiero Owner

« on: July 04, 2014, 01:29:19 pm »

So I have owned my 88 formula for a little over a year and to be honest it hasn't been the most reliable car for me. That coupled with impracticality and tough repairs the thought of selling it has come across my mind. Right now i'm thinking of selling it and buying a mid to late 80s Camaro. What do you guys think of this? Is it better to stick it out with the Fiero or just go Camaro.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 08:53:54 am »

I can't see how you would expect to have fewer problems with a late 80's Camero.  Old cars need maintenance.  That is the offset between the high price of new (is the cost of repairs on old).  If you aren't capable of doing at least some of your own repairs you will have a continuing problem with any older car.

I can only assume that you have a Fiero because you liked it.  I'm sure a bunch of hoses, sensors and wires need to be replaced.  That would go a long way to improving your reliability.  Just do some scheduled maintenance.  I do mine over the winter in my heated garage (when it's not totally apart like now).

Good luck with your decision.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 09:18:45 am »

Even new vehicles require time and money.  We had a focus, in 2 years we burned 3 power steering pumps, the last one left my wife and baby on the side of the highway for 2 hrs at -20. So we got a new jeep compass...  Some p.o.s. Plastic linkage for the tranny snapped while driving my grandmother home from the hospital.  My cummins needed 4000$ in parts this year, including a turbo with only 160k on it.

No matter what you decide you'll have to expect breakdowns and reg maintenance. Just a fact of life. 

Your a dream.  When I wake up you'll die.
GT_Gulf
Fiero Owner

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 01:01:43 pm »

I get what you guys are saying that old cars need maintenance and a camaro won't be much better for breaking down. The problem I have with the fiero is I can not do much work myself because I have no resources to drop the engine. I also have to drive either car every single day in the winter no matter what.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: I need advice. « previous next »
Jump to: