Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:30:04 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: HID vs Halogen « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HID vs Halogen  (Read 3883 times)
...nsa...
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:04:42 pm »

I didn't want to hi-jack someone else's thread, so...

Interesting... I may have to look in to this one of these days.  H4 bulbs are a heck of a lot easier to change out than sealed beams, among other benefits.

Thanks for the info!

I have the "same" headlights on mine as falcon_ca (unsure of the manufacturer) , installed with a true HID Kit in them, and I couldn't be happier.

I also have HIDs in my truck and her Buick, IMO they are a required safety feature. I will be buying them for every vehicle I own from now on.
I ran Sylvania Silverstars in my old van, but nothing comes close to the performance of the HIDs.

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:00:33 pm »

I checked the other thread but there doesn't seem to be a parts number of supplier.  Or do you modify the original glass units?

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
...nsa...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:59:24 pm »

not at all, the kits I get are size specific...

ex;

truck takes a 9006 bulb, the HID "screws""pops into" into the factory mounting hole

same as the new Fiero housings, H4 Bulb, H4 HID size...

...trying to find the other kit I have to snap a pic for you...

...nsa...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:05 pm »

This is an HID bulb for the Buick Allure low beam...

(not pictured are: the ballast for the bulb and male connector to plug into the factory low beam wiring)

See the 3 tabs? They screw/pop into the factory/H4 headlamp mount (hole) depending on its configuration

apologize for the quality, taken from my Blackberry
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:33:51 pm by ...nsa... » Logged
...nsa...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:28:14 pm »

...waiting on cyberspace...  Roll Eyes

pic finally uploaded

What I want to show is the backside of the plastic 5" X 7" sealed beam conversion housings that were bought for the car, and how the bulb will fit in them.

You would also see the mickey mouse retaining clip that would hold the bulb in place...theoretically...

Installed are the the glass 5" X 7" sealed beam conversion units instead that actually receive an H4 bulb. If you like, I can take a picture of them installed in the car when it gets light out again.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:05:22 pm by ...nsa... » Logged
...nsa...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:25:01 pm »

I checked the other thread but there doesn't seem to be a parts number of supplier.  Or do you modify the original glass units?

These are similar to what I (and am assuming falcon_ca) have.

Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:59:54 pm »

I'll chime in here.

One thing to keep in mind if you do the H4 style, make sure you run a proper shield on the bulb or the glare will be unbearable for oncoming traffic....more so than the equiv. of having your highs on.  Some kits have this, some don't, and some have a high-low option.

I already had proper quality Hella H4 reflectors (not projection but they have well made glass).  Way back before there were things as hid kits I found ballasts and D2S bulbs from a BMW.  I fitted the D2S bulb into some old H4 bases (they actually sell these adapters nowadays), made sure the capsule position was where it should be and cut a custom shield (no z-pattern cutoff but rather straight).  I have no high beam option and don't see a need for it.  Temperature is rated at 4300k, if I had to....the max I'd run is 5000k, anything over that it gets harder to "see", and don't forget about colour shift either.

Once you drive with HID, you won't want anything else.

...nsa...
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 05:02:51 pm »

I'll chime in here.

One thing to keep in mind if you do the H4 style, make sure you run a proper shield on the bulb or the glare will be unbearable for oncoming traffic....more so than the equiv. of having your highs on.  Some kits have this, some don't, and some have a high-low option.

I already had proper quality Hella H4 reflectors (not projection but they have well made glass).  Way back before there were things as hid kits I found ballasts and D2S bulbs from a BMW.  I fitted the D2S bulb into some old H4 bases (they actually sell these adapters nowadays), made sure the capsule position was where it should be and cut a custom shield (no z-pattern cutoff but rather straight).  I have no high beam option and don't see a need for it.  Temperature is rated at 4300k, if I had to....the max I'd run is 5000k, anything over that it gets harder to "see", and don't forget about colour shift either.

Once you drive with HID, you won't want anything else.

Agree 100% with the reflectors, QUITE annoying getting blinded by oncoming traffic ON the 416 AT 10 pm IN my Silverado!

Also, the "projector style" lamps that I have installed in the Fiero don't add much to the driving experience.

Pretty much a gimmick. If I can ever find the non-projector housings (for cheap Smiley ), I will swap them out.

I run the 6000k bulbs, just cause those are the ones we buy in bulk...

The Colour Chart

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:39:44 pm by ...nsa... » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: HID vs Halogen « previous next »
Jump to: