Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:31:14 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 3800 s/c swap « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3800 s/c swap  (Read 4482 times)
...nsa...
« on: April 03, 2011, 04:52:00 pm »

G'idday all!

Second time on the forum, this time equipped with a 1987 gt model.
First Fiero was the silver 1984 2m4 (that got destroyed, not my fault lol)

First question is, am I a complete fool to try this swap... I would consider myself an average all around car guy, mechanically inclined...

I have dreams of making this my commuter car as driving my 4x4 Silverado to and from work has been eating up a good chunk of my paycheque  Tongue I have been trolling the internet, Pennocks and this forum to try and research everything I can on the subject, but I don't think I am looking in the right places.  Is there anybody here that can point me to a thread here or otherwise, to get me started?  From what I understand, wiring can be an issue as well as the exhaust. I am also hoping to purchase most of the parts to do the transplant; v.s making them as time is always an issue especially for me in the winter.  I sell furnace parts and weekends aren't always weekends when the snow is on the ground lol. 

I remember going to aaron88's shop back in the day to drool over his northstar swap, and distinctly remember how complicated his exhaust looked!

So again, if anybody can spare a moment or two to guide me to the first step, it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Marc
...nsa...

(a.k.a for those who remember)

can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:46:05 pm »

Here's a bit of reading for you. I'm going to be doing this swap in the next couple of years also. I've got the motor I just need the time.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20100421-1-053213.html
...nsa...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:53:56 pm »

SWEET thanks a bunch man!
mike85gt
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:22:58 pm »

Hhttp://www.fastfieros.com/tech/3800_FAQ.htmave a look at this as well...........

Have a look here as well.......

http://www.fastfieros.com/tech/3800_FAQ.htm

...nsa...
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:19:26 am »

i shall! thanks... getting more confident... Smiley
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 09:59:56 pm »

Here is my take:  If you are looking at it and feel comfortable doing it, then there is really nothing out of your reach.  Some things that you are not familiar with will take you much longer that what might take someone else.  And you have to know where to go to find the information you are looking for and how to discern the right information from the wrong.  As long as you can do that, anyone can do any swap.  Of course it wouldn’t hurt if you knew a few guys with some cool tools.  Also you must be willing to spend some money to buy stuff you really can’t make yourself.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
...nsa...
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:57:12 am »

@aaron88

Hit the nail on the head, from all that I have read, I will be taking on this project... the only thing that will be out of my realm will be the exhaust.  But while i'm on the subject, if one is putting in a late model engine, would one have to go through an e-test? Or is the ministry looking at the year of the car?

And it does look like most of the conversion parts can be purchased...ideal for me! Gonna start ordering parts, one pay at a time...

Timeline Huh

Picking her up thursday night, pictures to follow...
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:13:08 pm »

They go on year of vehicle, but assuming you don't go crazy on the motor, an e test shouldn't be an issue

Your a dream.  When I wake up you'll die.
FIERO-JOE
Fiero Know-it-all

30 years old!!

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 01:40:26 pm »

im sort of pricing out the swap for when my engine bits the dust..
can any of the 3800 sc engines work.. i saw a series 3 3800 sc on sale and was wondering if it has to be a specific series to work??
thanks
joe

Should there be this many extra screws?
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:53:03 pm »

im sort of pricing out the swap for when my engine bits the dust..
can any of the 3800 sc engines work.. i saw a series 3 3800 sc on sale and was wondering if it has to be a specific series to work??
thanks
joe

In terms of physical installation, they're all relatively similar Joe.

The one hurdle with the series 3 that I know of is the ECM-controlled throttle (drive by wire).  You either need to retrofit a cable-controlled throttle body to the engine & run a series II PCM, or engineer a pedal-mounted TPS and appropriate wiring in to the Fiero.  There may be more "gotchas"....

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 3800 s/c swap « previous next »
Jump to: