Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:52:40 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 2.5L smog pigs « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2.5L smog pigs  (Read 1240 times)
Fieroflyer
« on: February 23, 2003, 06:13:28 pm »

What is it with these iron dukes, took the extra Fiero I put together in the fall for emissions test and failed badly. It runs good doesn't burn oil, no misses, basically clean runner but not on emissions. Seeing as all readings were high I'm going to put in a new cat. This is the third 4cyl Fiero that I have had fail. Everyone has required a new cat and then passed with flying colours, maybe these motors don't like catalytic convertors. Just thought this was strange. When I did my 3100 SFI it barely read on some of the parts thats with two extra cylinders go figure. If it doesn't pass with the new cat then I don't know maybe time for another swap. Lets see what could I try next? Am I the only one having trouble with the duke and emissions.
CaddyRob
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 06:15:52 pm »

are all these cars on there origional Cat? cause a 20 year old Cat, probley just doesnt cut it these days!

Ive heard that the 2.5's run fairly clean, Never had to have mine etested cause it blew up before that came into effect.

Later;
Fieroflyer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 06:30:14 pm »

Actually I put a new cat on one I sold to a guy in TO in 1999 and he told me that when it was redone the next year it barely passed. We compared the two tests and was it ever worse in just over a year. Unfortunately at that time E tests were only good for 6 months. But yes all them were original cats. I know the 91 Grand Am I had with a quad 4 and over 300,000kms on it blew through with the original cat when I sold it. I know on my Astro van they have a problem the cats are too far from the manifolds and never get hot enough so they have trouble passing. Although when you put a 350 SBC in one it solves the problem and actually improves slightly the gas mileage. Next winter I plan on rebuilding and upgrading the SBC to a tune port setup they are even more fuel efficient.
WillEV
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 09:04:15 am »

I just had my Chrysler Intrepid done and it failedthe e-test($35), so I had a computer diagnosic done ($100). It ended up being a vacume leak.($17 for the retest)
The Ontario government has a cap on how much the repairs are which is $200 (only if you are puting a sticker on the plate, if your selling it you have to get the repairs done)
Fieroflyer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 06:50:49 pm »

Unfortunately because emissions have been here longer the cap for my area is now $450. Talk about money grabbing politicians.
Rebel
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 07:13:03 am »

new cat. plugs in wire,oil change,new ox sensor
was nice in wirm, burt a tank if corn gas before the test
passed with out a wink trouble

Rebel Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 2.5L smog pigs « previous next »
Jump to: