Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:16:34 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Fixed the Overheating!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fixed the Overheating!!!  (Read 3116 times)
dimeadozen
Fiero Know-it-all

Mia: March 17, 2010- The Safety

« on: June 01, 2010, 01:30:36 pm »

I took my car to Auto Pro for a final test.

I needed to know if the block was the reason why it was overheating.

I had them change the pipes underneath, the engine hoses, sensors, and eventually they came to change the water pump.
Lucky for me I had a brand new water pump and cooling pipes already available so they just put them in.

These guys were awesome and the owner personally oversaw my car get finished and he made sure it was all fixed so that it would NEVER HEAT AGAIN.
They did not charge me for 3/4 of my coolant, they gave me a free oil change, and because they worked on my Water pump before asking they did not charge me for the labour to pull it off or put the new one back on. The work was still really expensive but he saved me an extra 500 dollars almost. These guys worked on my car around the clock and did all the right tests.

They assured me the block is in good condition and showed me all my parts that were broken, Including the water pump which had sheered at the impeller.

I think I finally found a mechanic who really respected me for owning a Fiero and he was so honest and his billing was so transparent everything made sense.

If anyone ever needs a good place in Ottawa I would totally suggest Auto Pro on St. Joseph in Orleans. ITs the best auto service I ever had. A bit pricey but worth it.

So now my car is ready for the Paint Job! I am totally up for suggestions btw.

If I just spend a little more money...
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:10:35 am »

So the impeller shaft was turning but the impeller wasn't?  I don't think I've seen that problem before.  You didn't mention that the pump was making a lot of noise so I'm assuming it wasn't?

In a pinch you can use a short length of hose to hear nois around individual parts.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:03:25 pm »

I've seen the plastic impellers lose their grip on the shaft, which then spins free or at a vastly reduced rate.

It's a good idea to always make sure any new or reman w/p has a metal impeller.
dimeadozen
Fiero Know-it-all

Mia: March 17, 2010- The Safety

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:54:40 am »

Well thats the thing, the Pump made no noise and thats why we could not make sense of it. The car ran so fine.

thats exactly what happened. The shaft broke free from the impeller so the pump would turn, but the impeller would either slip or catch. This explained why the car sometimes cooled and overheated at varying times.

It was driving me nuts that it never overheated the same way twice lol. But now all that is gone Smiley

Now when i drive the car needle is almost at only 1/4 even in heavy traffic. The mandrel bent piping i got from the Fierostore was really worth it too.

If I just spend a little more money...
DyncExceete
Fiero Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 03:55:27 pm »

Sorry bout the late reply lol,

Are they the ones that are tinted yellow?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Fixed the Overheating!!! « previous next »
Jump to: