Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:46:16 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Discount/wholesale batteries « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discount/wholesale batteries  (Read 2627 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: October 08, 2009, 09:59:58 am »

Does anyone know where 12v deep cycle batteries can be had at sub-retail prices?

I'm looking for a sealed 12v 100aH (deep cycle) battery.

Vented batteries which meet this spec are easy to find and can generally be purchased for $100ea or less; as soon as the word "sealed" enters the conversation however, the price triples.   Roll Eyes   Sad

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 12:29:42 am »

Have you tried Total Battery or Canadian Battery?

100 Amp Hour is a big battery.  How many are you looking for?

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:12:13 am »

Total Battery has what I'm looking for, to the tune of about $350ea taxes-in.

These things are typically used as storage batteries for residential wind & solar rigs, but I'm looking for one to use as the source for a UPS for our pellet stove.

I explored hitting Princess Auto's surplus section and running a number of 3-5aH batteries in parallel, but there are no gains as far as cost goes, and space rapidly becomes a problem.

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:29:12 am »

There are very specific limitation as to charge and discharge cycles on a lead-acid (or like) battery.  Basically you should never discharge a 12V battery passed 10.5V (or it will never recover fully).  So what are your amp-hour calculations based on?  Typically you only get about 2/3 of the rated capacity of a battery before you damage it.

Also you can get 3 to 10 times the charge cycles out battery if you never discharge passed half.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:18:56 am »

The UPS manages the charge/discharge cycle, which given the manufacturer's reputation and the battery life I've experienced with other UPSs of this brand, I suspect  is handled reasonably well.  The user manual for the thing doesn't go in to specifics, and they do not appear to supply this information online either.

I made no amp-hour calculations; simply selected the battery capacity based on what appears to be a commonly available deep-cycle battery intended for indoor use.

It's easy to cut the price by a 1/2 to 1/3 if a non-sealed battery would do.  Marine deep cycle batteries are a dime-a-dozen by comparison.  I'm not willing to take a chance on electrolyte vapor or hydrogen being vented in to the room however.

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:22:22 am »

Wear a mask Tongue

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Discount/wholesale batteries « previous next »
Jump to: