Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:00:12 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: mississippi mills by-law « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: mississippi mills by-law  (Read 4919 times)
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« on: August 07, 2009, 11:46:57 am »

Mississippi Mills has by-law enforcement, apparently.....on contract.  A ex-cop who was "let go" from what we've gathered.

Those of you who know my place and what it looks like, will get a kick out of this.  Its not like its Ed's Salvage or anything even close.  Its just cars parked on our property, commercial at that.  Since when can you not park cars on your own parking lot!!

COMMIE BASTARDS!

lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:15:49 pm »

Welcome to Canada, the land of the free as long as you do what they tell you to do.

Can you not register a fiero repair shop out of your garage?

I had a lot of issues with bylaw because of a non working fiero in the drive way but if you drive around the city you will see a lot of junk cars in driveways. Someone complained and that is why they are harassing you.

Good luck
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:48:22 pm »

Whoever did complain and we know it was via email, wasn't anyone near us.  Went door to door asking flat out.  People laughed at the fact....that it went as far as it did.  Won't be able to find out who it was unless we take it to court which we are prepared to do for sake of and even pursue the individual(s) who filed the complaint for damages.  Do it right, it works in America!

Time will tell, had a town counselor on it since May and thought the issue had been resolved long ago.  He is back on it and should know something next week.

Took this photo, this is what you see from the road, anything more and you have to physically drive onto the property.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:50:37 pm by Gizmo » Logged
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 08:21:24 am »

Whoever did complain and we know it was via email, wasn't anyone near us. 

Which is sad, if you think about the purpose of those stuffy little "appearance" by-laws.  I would be more expectant of someone nearby, perhaps with a home for sale of making a stink about something appearance-related than what was likely a drive-by.

Wonder if Beckwith has a similar by-law...  though our fleet can only really be seen by two neighbors during the summer, plus a bit more from the highway once the leaves drop.   Undecided

Good luck Nick!

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Kevin
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 12:13:42 pm »

Best of luck dealing with by-law. It really irks me that this seems to be the way things are going. By the way, if you need a good home for those Fieros give me a call Wink Kevin
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 09:27:55 pm »

What ever became of this? It's silly. Every time I drive by your place I take a peek in to see what sitting there. It's not like they are all tore apart or something. I thought the city of Ottawa was bad!
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 05:50:14 pm »

What ever became of this? It's silly. Every time I drive by your place I take a peek in to see what sitting there. It's not like they are all tore apart or something. I thought the city of Ottawa was bad!

Long story short a fence was put up, was in the works anyway but not planned till next season....and had the municipality erect a dead end sign.  Sign went up fast but still waiting for them to grade the road.  Taxes are how much!!??  You'd think we were Ottawa and had something like water and sewage and garbage pickup with smelly green bins.  Ummm not so last I checked.

So as it went, my folks went to a meeting in regards to the matter, I didn't go since it was an evening affair and I had to work, plus I didn't think it would get so "silly"....should have taken the day off and gone with a video camera, anyway too late.  I strongly suggest legal representation for anyone in this boat....should have gone that route from day one! 

Photos of the property were provided to the council, vehicle situation explained (strictly for off-road use and restoration/parts).  The by-law officer in question was there, who flat out lied in regards to the vehicle count on the property and their condition.  There were other inconsistencies but I don't have a transcript in hand to back it up.  To top it off, our councilor who was here several times to view the matter for himself commented there should not be any problems and he'll look after it....would you believe he did not and would not stand up in front of his peers to back us up.  My folks couldn't believe what happened and flat out called this communism, said what happened in Czechoslovakia is now happening here.  The council did not like this comment from what they told me of their reactions -"Oh we hope you don't mean this?".  They still wanted a plan of action for the cars and would follow up to see they were gone.  So the fence was not enough?  Its a start but we need to look into zoning.  Some zoning official to come and check this out since it a shop etc....  My old man stood up pissed off as you could imagine and said, no quotes here but along these lines if I remember right, this is as dead as the sign I want on my property, the shop is strictly hobby and nothing needs to get rezoned, this is over.  What can I say, I was shocked when I heard this and still am while I try to summarize it for you all.

Knock on wood not much has happened since.  Still planning a solid gate and already have video surveillance just in case some shit goes down while nobody is around.  Not sure other types signage will do a thing.  Time will tell.  Ready for them to bring on another round if they even dare....because mark our words -"It will be messy...".

Similar situation here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcsSz3Oaog&feature=channel.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:44 am »

Any idea what the justification for the meeting was?

The "Order to Remedy..." you posted above (in my opinion, at least) simply says "remove or screen the cars from view."  I would have thought that once the fence was erected that the terms of the order would have been met, and the whole thing laid to rest.

Have you or your folks pissed in anyone's corn flakes lately?  It sure sounds as though someone has it in for you...

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 03:42:49 pm »

Mississippi Mills STRIKES AGAIN!!!

So in the mail today, we received two letters here in Pakenham, one registered (tax dollars at work) and one regular, other went to Kanata.

Things were quiet until we decided to put up a Kunstadt Sports sign at the McWatty/Highway "T".  Not a new sign location, simply updating an old old sign that read "Golfers Welcome! -blah blah whatnot".  We do have a proper business here, we ourselves are full commercial....so this location is for pickup and drop-off ski/board tuning service not strictly advertising for the store.

Guess you need a permit for just about everything now, soon to include wiping yer butt....ugh!

Interesting all the paperwork over what I read to be a $51 permit....still waiting on that to be sure.

Oh but get this, printed the by-law....seems to be copied (but not directly) from the City of Ottawa version.  Nice to know you don't need signage permits in Renfrew County for something going on YOUR PRIVATE PROPERTY.  Don't move to Mississippi Mills, err Ottawa....err this neck of the woods.

Wonder who complained this time!!!???

Rant mode complete!  Angry
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 09:19:30 pm »

Try the grandfather clause.  Sign board was up before the by-law came in.  Prove you are the same people.  Although it is a new sign and you might be sol.  Should have left the original sign.

Good Luck,

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 02:27:50 pm »

Grandfather clause indeed!  Spoke with our Councillor.....Denzil Ferguson, said it shouldn't even be an issue because its grandfathered.

All is well again in the city.  For now anyway.  Afro
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: mississippi mills by-law « previous next »
Jump to: