Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:23:44 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: engine, tranny and cradle change « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: engine, tranny and cradle change  (Read 2289 times)
mr.tourismo
« on: October 07, 2004, 06:10:19 pm »

i'm looking to buy an 84 with a blown engine (2.5) and a bad tranny (4spd) and i have my 86 SC (2.5 5spd) i was wondering how hard/is it worth it/how can i do the full cradle exchange or what other technic should i use.  we only have floor jacks and wodden blocks and tools but i can get a hold off a lift for a bit of time (my bro works at a gm dealer).  the fiero's 250$, is it worth it Huh

Alex
mr.tourismo
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 06:13:27 pm »

as for futur plans, i have a 3800 SC series 1 or 2 and a '88 cradle conversion
2ML67
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 06:33:13 pm »

Your 86 engine cradle and all will bolt right into the 84 you will have to change the shifter and cables, only major work will be wiring the C500 connector is in a different location between 84 and the newer cars. I would rewire the car with using the 86 harness if it was me. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 08:21:57 am »

By strange coincidence, this exactly what I'm doing to Kitten's car.  Smiley

I have the same opinion as Dan BTW--rewire the car using the 86 harness rather than try to hack up the 84 harness to work with the later model drivetrain.  Why?  84's have some exclusive electrical features, such as...
  • funky relay-driven inner brake/signal lights;
  • external delay wiper module;
  • C500 location which makes some engine swaps...  interesting;
  • unique idiot light set-up
Not to mention the other more "general" differences in wiring between the 84/85 and 86+ cars, like the 3rd brake light, speaker seats vs. sail panel speakers, decklid ajar switch location, door ajar switch location, no "plug in" for the auxiliary gauge pod...

There are probably a few more differences that I'm forgetting, but you get the idea.

I'm going to be starting on Kitten's car this weekend, perhaps even today as it's winding up to be a short one at work.  Plan of attack is to re-wire the car from the interior back to the tail lights, then do the drivetrain swap.

If you're interested, I'll document the sucker in detail as I go, and post it here so you can have a reference.  Oh yeah and also so that I can make Gary complain about his dial-up ISP.   Grin

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
mr.tourismo
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 02:43:36 am »

Your 86 engine cradle and all will bolt right into the 84
so i guess i can do the conversion in my mecanic class at school(we have 2 lifts  Cool ). how many hours is it about to do the cradle,engine and tranny only? the electrical and interior i can do at my house.

If you're interested, I'll document the sucker in detail as I go, and post it here so you can have a reference.  Oh yeah and also so that I can make Gary complain about his dial-up ISP.   Grin
that would be great... it could help me/and any one else alot Smiley , i found out about the wirring differences to by trying a cruise control conversion from my old 84 parts car on my 86, lol the wirring is on the other side of the engine bay Roll Eyes .  And my 86's tail lights dont work well (they stay on drive mod. no brake or turn signals lights work (including forway flasher) ) i guess i'm gonna have to get a new one from the wreckers or something.

I also have to convert the 86's roof to the 84, the other owner had molded the two roof body panels (dont aske me y) and he tried molding in one of the aftermarket sunroofs in too (a small one), so i'm gonna have the original sunroof from the 86 on the 84.  My dad wanted to make a targe top on the fiero, but i think the sunroof is god enough.  Wink

Alex

PS. I have dial up too, 45.2kbps average speed, lol

**look at watch** OH BOY!  3 AM! k, well i'm gone to bed now......

« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 03:08:25 am by mr.tourismo » Logged
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 08:33:22 am »

Bite me.   Tongue  I'm posting this at a whopping 12,000bps this morning.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
mr.tourismo
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 10:08:52 pm »

Bite me.   Tongue  I'm posting this at a whopping 12,000bps this morning.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
took me about 5 min to post this, i feel special  Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: engine, tranny and cradle change « previous next »
Jump to: