Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:58:21 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 86 Parts Car « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 86 Parts Car  (Read 3722 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: September 06, 2004, 01:02:40 pm »

Our latest acquisition, which has a dryly amusing story behind it.

We purchased it from a neighbour, who had himself purchased it in the condition shown below as a potential trike project.

The owner previous to our neighbour, was a Darwin Awards candidate.   Roll Eyes

For reasons unknown, he decided to take the car through a ploughed field.  Thereupon he met up with a partially burried culvert, at a good clip given the extent of the damage.  Looks like the lower part of the bumper connected with the culvert, taking out the radiator, steering rack, and coming to a stop against the front crossmember.  Meanwhile the driver was making his own emergency exit via the windshield.   Shocked

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 01:10:23 pm »

Engine has no leaks worth mentioning, compression is apparently good, so I suspect that I'll find myself "updating" Kitten's '84 next summer as it's just starting to show the signs of needing a thorough overhaul.   Undecided

Anywho...  we found this on the underside of the engine compartment vents.  I've never seen this style of "screen" on the underside of the vents before.  Everything I've ever dealt with up until now was a honeycomb (including on my first Fiero, which was also a 86 2M4).  Given that the decklid weatherstrip was also still in place, and that there were none of the expected yellow recall stickers on the underside of the decklid, I'm guessing that this style of vent was likely a pre-recall item.  Anyone know for certain?

2ML67
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 01:29:53 pm »

Probably a late 86 as I have found those on 87/88's. Dan
poupas
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 07:10:40 pm »

That car wouldnt be a standard would it with a good clutch master cylinder? I just had to ask.
                                        Andrew
34FieroGT
Ottawa Fiero Member
Fiero Know-it-all

This, is my BOOMSTICK!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 08:30:46 am »

I believe that I have the same screens on my engine compartment vents (86 GT).  My digital camera is on the fritz so I can't take a pic, but I can show them to you at the next GTG.

tyler...
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 08:54:57 am »

Dan, Tyler...

Thanks for the comments on the grills.  Now I feel like I lead a sheltered life or something.  Wink

Andrew...

'fraid we're being greedy and keeping pretty much everything for the time being.  There might be a number of items available next summer after we decide whether or not the upgrade for Kitten's car is a go or not, but not until then.

poupas
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 11:15:53 pm »

Just thought I would ask.
I may as well add some info on the subject of vents. I dont think mine look like that, I do believe mine have many holes in them(86GT), but I could be wrong. I can tell you that they are fantastic for collecting leaves!
                                              Andrew
GoFast88
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 07:28:45 am »

my $.02
the 88 coupe has grills like that.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 07:31:25 am »

Well I guess it's rather fortunate that we got our hands on this car when we did.

The starter motor on Kitten's car has decided to shear off one of its mounting ears, and the other bolt has broken off deep inside the block.   Undecided  ...and for some strange reason I'm far more interested in re-wiring the '84 from the instrument panel back to the tail lights, than I am in dropping the exhaust out of the way and going to town with a drill, tap, and/or extractor set.   Roll Eyes Smiley

Kevin
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 09:16:08 am »

That happened to mine. Thank goodness for the starter bracket or I would have been in trouble. That bolt is very inaccessable place I have tried everything from a Dremel to a foot long drill bit and could not get at it. I will fix it when I pull the cradle out. Kevin
2ML67
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 10:46:51 am »

If you don't mind the poor location of the C500 connector that engine should bolt and wire right in just have to change oil pressure sensor. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 09:17:05 am »

If you don't mind the poor location of the C500 connector that engine should bolt and wire right in just have to change oil pressure sensor.

Nah, I'm going all-out.  Smiley

The main wiring harness from the '86 is intact with the exception of some butchery at the radio connections, which would require some mucking about with in any case to work with the 84's speaker seats.  Re-wiring it should be more time consuming than difficult.

Not only does C500 get to conveniently move itself in the process, but that funky relay-driven inner brake/signal light nonsense can go where the sun don't shine too.  Not to mention that it'll be a prime opportunity to...  correct some other wiring oddities while I'm in there.   Roll Eyes

I look at it as preparation for my <insert supremely unpredictable future date here> L67 swap.  If I can bring an 84's wiring "up to spec" with the later year models, hooking up a Haltech ECM should be easy.   Grin

Quote from: Tinker
That happened to mine. Thank goodness for the starter bracket or I would have been in trouble.

I assume you mean the "tail" support that some have and some don't?  Smiley  The only thing that kept her starter from hitting the ground, was that it happened to pinch itself between the catalytic converter & the heat shield which protects the fuel filler neck & whatnot.  Fortunately the posve battery cable didn't find anything to ground itself against in the process!

Incidentally, that's what killed my first Fiero as well...  The outer bolt snapped off, but I was able to drill it through & ghetto'd it with a chunk of threaded rod and a fistfull of nuts.  About a year later the inner bolt failed.  At that point enough of the rear frame had been eaten by the rusties that it simply wasn't worth fixing.   Sad

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 86 Parts Car « previous next »
Jump to: