Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:25:29 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: rad fan needed « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: rad fan needed  (Read 3193 times)
poupas
« on: June 02, 2004, 10:56:16 pm »

I am in dire need of a rad fan for a '86 Fiero GT standard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                 Thanks Andrew.
                                               1-613-276-6554
I can pick anywhere from Ottawa to Brockville on or before Friday.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 07:59:51 am »

If you can't find an original one, you might want to talk to fiero308.

He found that a dual-fan & shroud combo from a Focus is a near-perfect fit.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 05:00:18 pm »

Andrew
did you check the fan directly; ie bypass the relay and put battery current to it directly?
the relays go bad .......often enough.
or the sensors.
They have a poorer track record (and are cheaper to change!) than the fan itself!
easy to do, too.
give that a try just to be sure.
poupas
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 11:12:37 pm »

Thanks for the advice, but I already had direct power to it. It doesnt move with applied power. I spoke to a wrecker the other day and he said he had a motor without the fan or shroud. Is it difficult to remove the motor only from the fan?
                                               Andrew
fiero308
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 08:26:14 am »

someone (PFF?) suggested that the rad fan MOTOR could be replaced.  hmmmmm almost seems possible - have you bothered to ask GM that?  It doesn't look that difficult and maybe the rad fan motors are somewhat generic.....?
Worth the cost ( Wink ) of asking.
2ML67
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 09:31:51 am »

90's Lumina's used dual large fans those fans fit our cars if you take time to remove three bolts holding fan motor to shroud and swap with Fiero one. Gives you better pitch newer fan in old Fiero shroud. I have one in mine and one extra built as a spare hanging on wall. Takes about a half hour to do. Dan
fiero308
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 09:44:52 am »

Andrew:
I don't know if Dan's spare is for sale then, if so, then ......don't read the rest!!  Wink
I have a Lumina fan from my 92 Z34; it had two and I am not going to use them now, so if you are intersted in trying this swap-in that Dan is suggesting then lmk - but give him first dibs of course.
gp
2ML67
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 02:41:26 pm »

Go ahead as I am too far away for most things to be worth waiting for. Dan
poupas
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 02:42:33 pm »

So it is just a case of removing the fan/motor from the Lumina shroud and putting it into the Fiero shroud. Three bolts. Sounds good.
2ML67- I suppose by the way you worded your email that you will not be selling your spare?
fiero308 - what kind of price are you looking for for the lumina fan?

I found a guy on PFF selling a fan for 5$US, but with shipping, exchange, and duty, it will add up. As of last night the guy hadnt responded either.

Picking one up in Ottawa would be much better.
                                      Thanks
                                           Andrew                     
fiero308
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 08:53:57 pm »

I haven't done this swap, or even heard of it until Dan brought it up.  I have both fans tho, so will have a LOOK; I don't know what way you want to go; try the motor replacement (no idea) or just bolt in the Lumina fan.
Which......... I haven't yet tried either... Roll Eyes
what's yer preference?
poupas
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 05:02:18 pm »

I think bolting in the whole fan would be easier. As Dan said, remove three bolts and pop it in. How much are you looking for?
                                             Andrew
fiero308
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 01:44:52 pm »

Hi Andrew
I pulled out the 3 fans; 2 - lumina and 1- fiero and looked at them and I don't see any similarity among any of the parts that I have here; the motors are different sizes and the mountings are different too.  So I don't know how I could make up a new fiero fan from the parts that I have; sorry.
It sounds like Dan might be coming up to prod Gary at some point; maybe he will be willing to part with his spare......give him a try and good luck!
gp
2ML67
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 09:04:23 pm »

Oh yea make me reach up and pull it down off the wall after all you know how lazy I am. Can do bring to Gary's with me hows $25 sound. Dan
poupas
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 12:05:23 am »

Sounds good Dan. This spare you have is just the motor and fan, or is it in the shroud as well? If its not in the shroud then it will just bolt in the factory holes? Like I said in the other post, I dont mind going to pick it up, but if you are coming to Ottawa....
                             Thanks again
                                              Andrew
poupas
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 12:07:15 am »

Thanks for taking the time to check it out fiero308. Its appreciated.
                                  Andrew
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: rad fan needed « previous next »
Jump to: