Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:31:02 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: hey hey 2 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hey hey 2  (Read 1742 times)
a.k.a
« on: December 10, 2003, 02:11:05 pm »

First, thanx don guy! (for the pff links)

ok, how bout this?

would some1 out there know roughly the const to :::Overhaul::: the 2.8? Can I save some cash and tell the parts guys the internals are from an s-10 2.8? or is stroke / bore different?

Secondly, I have to separate my trans...there is no trick to this right? just the bolts on the bell housing? (never seperated and automatic FWD setup)

Thirdly, engine block paint...what color did pontiac use in '88 for thier blocks? I remember back in the day, blue was thier choise but now adays Huh

...And, lastly...

Has anyone ever used painless performance wiring? I am hoping a; they have a chassis kit for the '88 GT and b; newer style grounding blocks as a big stereo is definately in the plans  Cool

thanx boys / grrls!

a.k.a
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 02:49:44 pm »

The Fiero had a High Output 2.8.  I think just the valve size was different, but all fwd 2.8 had the same engine after 89 or so.

From what I have read, you and Boot are capable of rebuilding.  I think it was Boot who rebuilt for a j-bod?  Just get a rebuild kit and go from there.

The tranny just bolts on AFAIK.  The torque converter is heavy and full of fluid.  You can unbolt it from the flexplate through the split and slide it off with the tranny.  Don't let it come off the shaft if you don't want a mess. You'll have a flexplate to change to a flywheel if you go 5 speed.  88's are neutral balanced so any GM late 2.8 3.1 standard should be good. Lots of Cavs and Corsicas, Beretta's around.

Engine block is black, plenum and covers red.  The red engine paint you see at CTC is verrry close.  The 88 plenum should be engraved (Fiero) and the engraving can be 'painted' with vaseline to keep the paint off.  Just wipes off after...no stick.   If you have an earlier plenum with a decal, then just mask it off.

Don't know about the wires, but aftermarket = $$  you should be able to find a harness.  The stereo harness can be made and added in easy enough.
a.k.a
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 10:45:41 pm »

ok, thanx G-man!

ok....yep, you read right, bootie re-did a 2.2 for a '97 Cavaqueer...and I have experienced several re-builds in my day  Smiley

Ok, so most FWD trannies will bolt right up? on to the stock Fiero flywheel? Or, should I look for a tranny with a flywheel?

When you say "balanced", what exactly does that entail? Should there be any precautions I should take before removing the bottom end? (eg. main bolts, crank, or even oil pan Huh )

And as for the Vaseline, being a teenager,  I may have some somewhere Wink

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 06:53:32 pm »

Flywheel comes with the motor, You have to get that separately.  Should be simple, but you just don't want to mix the two up (balanced or unbalanced).  It'll be obvious when you are looking at the flywheel, the un-balanced flywheel will have a weight on the back side of it (engine side).  I can show you when you pick up the ECU.

If I'm right, you shouldn't even be able to put the wrong flywheel on because the balanced and unbalanced flywheel should have different bolt patters on it.  A balanced flywheel has equal spaced bolt holes because it doesn’t matter which position you bolt it up in, an un-balanced flywheel has at least one offset bolt hole to make sure it’s aligned properly.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
a.k.a
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 01:17:34 am »

ok again, aaron is da man! thanx brah, ok I should give you a pm tomorrow when we can link up again...

(this time, you will see my Fiero Wink )
 Smiley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 03:21:40 am by a.k.a » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: hey hey 2 « previous next »
Jump to: