Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:14:57 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Exhaust manifold « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: searching for exhaust manifold
xxxxxxx   -3 (100%)
Total Voters: 2

Author Topic: Exhaust manifold  (Read 2080 times)
fiero1
Moving UP!

dark-rider

« on: August 22, 2002, 11:37:24 pm »

My 85 GT has a cracked exhaust manifold would anyone know where i can locate one @ just by chance is their a way that i can replace it @ not bring down the cradle ..thx
FieroDough
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 07:23:56 am »

front or back manifold? Were is the crack and how big?

it can be replaced with the engine in the car from underneath. Your concern should be the studs snapping off. that sucks. Happened to me. You have to drill / tap them out. If that happens the heads need to come out.

save yourself some headaches. For a week beffore you get it fixed, every night go spray the bolts with penetrating oil. NOT WD40! that stuff blows.. get a real good penetrating oil like PB Blaster or something like that (can be found at princess auto for like 12 to $15 a can)

cross fingers.. if no bolts snap, replace with NEW saturn studs!

Good luck!
Eric
fiero1
Moving UP!

dark-rider

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 09:00:53 am »

Thx Eric anything is worth a try i had the cradle out twice to do work & i really dont care to do it a 3rd time.Did you repair your manifold or replace it,mine was already repaired but the weld did not hold.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 04:01:35 pm »

I have a set here (2.Cool.  One has been welded so it's likely the back one  Grin  Free if you want it.

Eric, I checked the Saturn dealer and they have replaced the part numbers quoted throughout the web in USA.  The parts here are horrendously expensive, if what I got quoted is the right thing.
Gary
FieroDough
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 08:49:10 pm »

*whispers* yeah, they are expensive. Lucky for me home depot sells long bolts with same thread. Smiley Side cutter to the head and we have a stud. Tongue  $1.25/grade 5 bolt, 0.19 for the nut. Tongue

Cheers!
Eric
fiero1
Moving UP!

dark-rider

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 11:43:59 pm »

Hi thx for the offer i'll grab them but the one that is now leaking was welded @ it let go again im wondering if when it rain this may be a possible problem for this manifold oh well like i told you i will gladly take these of your hands but im also wondering do they make headers for the 2.8?Huh
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2002, 06:33:00 am »

Yes, the cracks come from cold water hitting the hot manifold when you open the deck.  It will eventually happen to them all. The ones I have were bought to port and the guy didn't bother to mention that one had been already welded.

Removing the internal obstructions in the manifold should give 8 - 10 horsies.  A set of headers will be about the same but are pretty expensive.  The general thought is to port the stock manifolds and replace as needed.

West Coast Fiero makes 'shorty' headers, the Fiero Store in the US may have some too.  I saw a site once where a guy custom makes them and they are nice, but $$$$$$$.
Boy-z
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2002, 02:43:13 pm »

Gary I have to get out to your place one day, what do you have there a fiero store. lol
mudslut
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2002, 03:56:34 pm »

Actually I might have some.....
And I have a question:
Do the V6s come with different exhaust manifolds??
My engine has steel ones (one is cracked incidentally) but I have a parts engine that has iron ones??
Huh
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2002, 05:27:08 pm »

Welcome to our little group,  'mudslut'  (we don't want to know, but probably will ask later)  Grin

As far as I know, the Fiero ones are the tubular steel.  The cast ones may be due to the use of a replacement motor.(not sure).  All of mine have been steel.

Gary

Claude got a set but he may want something in better shape, if available.
fiero1
Moving UP!

dark-rider

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2002, 11:30:01 pm »

Hi Gary,conserning the manifolds you gave me look to be ok & beleive me i really appreciate you giving me this pair the car should be pulled of the road at the end of October weather permitting & im going to have them slapped on during the winter months if the crack again well so be it then we go to plan "B"..........
mudslut
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2002, 11:00:24 am »

hmmmm....thats interesting....
I wonder if the cast iron ones would be better??

BTW the Mudslut thing is cause I'm into 4x4 and have a few big trucks as well as a Fiero Cool
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Exhaust manifold « previous next »
Jump to: