Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:59:35 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Another Work Project For You « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Work Project For You  (Read 2978 times)
FieroBUZZ
« on: September 29, 2003, 11:23:52 am »

Reading a bit on local police crackdowns has brought up some points.  Maybe if anyone runs across the answers as to legality they could post the source here as a resource for trafic court.

Tickets issued liberally:
no e-brake -  Roll Eyes

open air filter (CAI or WAI) - tampering with emmissions gear?

valve cover oil breather - as above

coloured bulbs

seat belts - harnesses

nitrous equipment

anything that looks non standard - yada yada
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 09:06:41 am »

PLEASE NOTE:

Necessary disclaimer, also known as "covering my ass."   Grin

I am neither a lawyer, nor do I have any legal background or experience.  The comments which follow in this post and others in this thread are not intended to be used as legal advice, sound or otherwise.

They are my personal opinions and interpretations of portions of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, and readers should assume that my opinions and/or interpretations may not be correct in whole or in part.

I will not be held responsible in any way, shape, or form, for anything that happens to you as a result of reading the posts which follow.  Anything.

-d.

Reading a bit on local police crackdowns has brought up some points.  Maybe if anyone runs across the answers as to legality they could post the source here as a resource for trafic court.

Tickets issued liberally:
no e-brake -  Roll Eyes

Should be obvious to everyone.  From the Ontario Highway Traffic Act:

64.  (1)  Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, when driven on a highway shall be equipped with at least two braking systems, each with a separate means of application and effective on at least two wheels, one of which shall be adequate to stop the vehicle as required by regulations made by the Ministry and the other of which shall be adequate to hold the vehicle stationary. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 64 (1).

In other words...  "line locks" in the main hydraulic braking system do not count, as they are not a "separate means of application."  Yes, I've heard of people trying to get away with a line lock instead of an e-brake.   Roll Eyes

I would guess however that a mechanical spot caliper would be sufficient, providing that you can prove that it is sufficient "to hold the vehicle stationary."
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 09:48:57 am by Don Guy » Logged

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 09:08:23 am »

open air filter (CAI or WAI) - tampering with emmissions gear?

valve cover oil breather - as above

I can't find anything in the H.T.A. which directly touches this, catalytic converters, or other emissions equipment, however it may be covered by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.

Anyone else care to toss a bone in?

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 09:30:38 am »

coloured bulbs

There's a good-sized section on the H.T.A. which covers lighting.  I'm going to attempt to quote & highlight the relevant portions:

Lamps

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62.  (1)  When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

So take your blue front or rear "euro" running lights, and put 'em back in the box.

Light requirement

(4)  Any lamp required under subsection (1), (2) or (3) shall, when lighted, be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear, as the case may be. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (4).

Strength of lamps

(6)  Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (6).

In other words even if the section below did not exist, people who tint their headlights and/or tail lights are prime targets, with the argument that the tinting violates the 150m and/or 110m visibility requirement.

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited
(7)  No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or

(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

So... this really hits those with the tinted light covers, not to mention everyone I've seen who has taken "old style" tail lights and blacked-out a portion of them leaving little round circles in an attempt to get that alteza/euro/whatever look, without paying for the aftermarket light housings.

I would also question whether or not it is wise to replace stock tail lights with altezzas or other aftermarket light housings which contain reflectors which are different from the stock lights.  You may be called upon to prove that your fancy aftermarket lights have the same or better effective lens area and/or beam intensity over the originals.

Exception

(7.1)  Clause (7) (a) does not apply if the lamps are of the prescribed type or meet the prescribed standards. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

Look this up yourself if you're curious.  I'm not curious enough at the moment.   Tongue

Strength of front lamps
(9)  No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

So you thought that your 500 amp alternator and conglomeration of fog, driving, and off-road lights was really cool on the highway?  Better keep 'em for off-road only, sunshine!

Side marker lamps

(13)  When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one half-hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle or combination of vehicles having a length in excess of 6.1 metres shall carry not fewer than four lighted side marker lamps, one of which shall be located on each side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles near the front and shall display a green or amber light and one of which shall be located on each side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles near the rear and shall display a red light and each of which lights shall be visible for a distance of 150 metres from the side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles upon which it is located; provided that a vehicle or combination of vehicles may carry four reflectors approved by the Ministry instead of the side marker lamps required by this section; and provided further that, if the clearance lamps upon the left side of any vehicle or combination of vehicles display lights visible for a distance of 150 metres from the left side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles, it is not necessary to carry side marker lamps as required by this subsection on the left side of the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (13).

Well whadda ya know.  Blue lights on the sides are a no-no too.  Got the blues yet?

Red light in front

(15)  In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a vehicle described in subsection (15.1) may carry lamps that cast a red light only or such other colour of light that may, with the approval of the ministry, be designated by a by-law of the municipality in which the vehicle is operated, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts a red light to the front. 1998, c. 35, s. 103.

Sounds to me like red neon front licence plate frames will get you a spanking from our boys in blue!

Rear lamps to illuminate number plate

(19)  The lamp on the rear of a motor vehicle or trailer shall be of at least three candela and shall be so placed that it will, at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, illuminate the numbers on the number plate, or, if provision is made on the number plate or on any attachment furnished or required by the Ministry for affixing the lamp, it shall be affixed in the position or space provided, and the lamp shall face to the rear and reflect on the number plate a white light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (19).

Not sure how this may be interpreted if you have both the proper plate lighting & one of those colored neon frames though?  The stock lighting is casting white light only, but the neon frame isn't?   Undecided

Restriction on use of flashing blue light

(32)  No person shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of blue light on a highway except in the circumstances described in subsection (31). 1996, c. 33, s. 11.

The "circumstances described in subesection (31)" cover snow removal equipment.  Therefore not only are blue side marker lights a no-no as stated earlier, but you may also see additional charges under this section if they're hooked in to your turn signals.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 12:49:21 pm by Don Guy » Logged

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 09:36:02 am »

seat belts - harnesses

Definition, "seat belt assembly"

106.  (1)  In this section,

"seat belt assembly" means a device or assembly composed of straps, webbing or similar material that restrains the movement of a person in order to prevent or mitigate injury to the person and includes a pelvic restraint or an upper torso restraint or both of them. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 106 (1).

Where required by federal law

(2)  No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle in which a seat belt assembly required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada has been removed, rendered partly or wholly inoperative, modified so as to reduce its effectiveness or is not operating properly through lack of maintenance. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 106 (2).

So if you have added a device to your seat belt(s) which may be deemed to reduce their effectiveness, or modified them (e.g. replaced with a 5-point harness), odds are that you'll have to provide proof that their effectiveness has not been reduced.

There is more text regarding use of seat belts by driver & passengers, but I assume that what Gary was talking about is people being stopped for seat belt modifications of various flavours.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 09:40:41 am »

nitrous equipment

anything that looks non standard - yada yada

Hey now, as far as I know Bill 20 has not been passed in to law yet.  Unless there is another law or amendment to an existing law of which I'm not aware, permanently connected nitrous systems are not yet illegal.

Non-standard stuff?  If they can prove that something you've added or modified in your vehicle contravenes an existing law...  you're up shit creek without a paddle I suspect.  The moral of the story is don't just dive in and do something "kewl" unless you're prepared for and accept the consequences.

A.K.A
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 10:02:20 am »

well then, thanx for clearing that up bro! (such info  Shocked)
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 11:09:21 am »

Don Guy

Okay!!  Now I have to say something…you go way above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to providing information on this sight.

And one more thing; Thank you!

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 12:01:18 am »

Don Guy

Okay!!  Now I have to say something…you go way above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to providing information on this sight.

Indeed, good stuff  Grin
Kitten
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

Unofficial Ottawa Fiero Club shutter bug

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 06:57:43 pm »

Hey all,

Don's other half here Grin.  Well we were driving home in my newly aquired 2M4 the other night when we were pulled over by a cop (no plate on the back, and he couldn't see the temporary in the windshield).  While we were pulled over I asked him about the lighted license plate frames, since there was one on my car when I bought it.  And he told me that they are not legal, only a white light is legal here in Ontario.

The excitement is in the curves.

Lead, Follow, Or get out of the way.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Another Work Project For You « previous next »
Jump to: