Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:34:25 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 2.8 Ignition Timing Marker « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2.8 Ignition Timing Marker  (Read 2266 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: September 14, 2003, 06:59:28 pm »

Does anyone have a photograph of the ignition timing marker on a 2.8, where the numbers are reasonably visible?

Mine...  aren't.  Even after a bombardment by various cleaners, I can't make out the engravings.   Sad

There is however a suspicious white paint mark about two points in from the left-hand edge of the tag.  I'm guessing that either the factory or a wrench placed it there.

Why?

When I checked the timing this afternoon, it was retarded about 4 degrees past the white mark.  After advancing it to the white mark, she runs one heck of a lot more smoothly.   Smiley

Like I said, if anyone has a photo of the timing marker (on- or off-engine), please post it.  I'll be making an appointment for her first and only e-test soon, and this is the last item on my list.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
34FieroGT
Ottawa Fiero Member
Fiero Know-it-all

This, is my BOOMSTICK!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 10:05:35 pm »

Here you go!  I found this on a PFF posting a while ago and saved it.  I was in the same boat as you when adjusting the timing this past spring...

tyler...
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 08:44:13 am »

Thanks Tyler!

BootMachine
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 03:30:51 pm »

oh thats nice! I wish my timing marks were that easy to see...mine are all INSIDE the tranni on the flywheel...I have about 2 pounds of goo on mine so I just guess at my timeing!

Knocking.....keep dicking with it...no knocking....dont touch it!
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 05:35:01 pm »

Hmmm...  for some reason I could see the engraved numbers today.  Good thing too--the left-most mark on mine is 14°, not 16° as in Tyler's photo.  Not quite sure why I didn't notice them yesterday.   Huh

In any case, my adjustment yesterday left her at about 12° of advance.  No wonder she ate up 1/2 a tank of fuel over the 130km round trip to work and back.   Roll Eyes

FieroDough
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 02:09:23 pm »

si the timing mark bouncing around when under the gun or is it pretty stable?

might be time for a new chain.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 10:21:59 am »

si the timing mark bouncing around when under the gun or is it pretty stable?

might be time for a new chain.

It makes an occasional hop, but nothing erratic or constant.  ...and to my old eyes the timing is identical for both cylinders 1 and 4, which is another good sign.

E-test minus 48h 40m and counting.

2ML67
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 02:02:07 pm »

NA NA NA my 3800SC doesn't have a distributor and it flew through emissions. Such old technology some of you slower guys are using. Must be a severe fear of speed and power.Dan
FieroDough
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 02:48:13 pm »

But man do we look stupid when our timing is off Wink  Camp censor? Crank cesor? AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 2.8 Ignition Timing Marker « previous next »
Jump to: