Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:26:11 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: % spped transmission « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: % spped transmission  (Read 3142 times)
egirard
« on: August 11, 2003, 06:39:51 pm »

Did someone know if the 5 speeds transmission for a 4 cylinders would fit on a 2.8 V6 (both are 1986)?

I want to convert my Fiero GT 86 automatic to standard. I just found a Fiero 2m4 86.

Thanks for your help.

Eric.
egirard
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 06:42:37 pm »

Oops, the title should be: 86 5 speeds transmission (this is my first post). Shocked
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 08:41:04 am »

I believe that the bell housing bolt patterns will match up, but the Isuzu 5-spd which was used on all 1985 and later Fieros is believed to be too fragile to use with the V6.  The V6's torque will probably kill it if you're not excruciatingly gentle.   Shocked

You would likely be better off tracking down the 4-spd Muncie from an '85 or '86 2M6, or the 5-spd Muncie/Getrag from a '86 or '88 2M6.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 11:19:16 am »

Depending on how much money you are willing to spend.  Grab a 5 speed out of a:
Corcica 87-89
Beretta 87-89
6000 87-88
Cavalier 87-89 (might want to stay away from this one)
Celebrity 87-89
Cimarron 87-88
Fierenza 87
Make sure the car had/has a V6.  The front wheel drive conversion kit will cost you a few hundred as will the cables required.  You will need a new slave cylinder (recommended), and all the other conversion goodies that you will have to salvage from a donor car (that's the 2m4 you found).  Also, do note that the shifter for the five speed (Isuzu or Getrag) are the same but different than the 4 speed (You must get the shifter from a Fiero donor).  You will also need a new slave cast iron lever (the donor one will be the wrong length).  You will need transmission mounts.  Expect to pay about $600 to $800 in total for this conversion unless you get lucky and find a Fiero donor with the Getrag 282 transmission in it with all the goodies still intact.

I may be able to make some brackets for you (at a much better price than otherwise available).  If I haven’t scared you off.

The other option is to just use the plentiful Isuzu transmission.  The down side is that you will have to take it easy in first gear.  There can be no stop light racing, however once you are rolling, hammer down (depneding on the condition of the trasmission you found.

Did I mention that you'll need a flywheel too?

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
GoFast85
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 11:25:05 am »

I see that people are using the Isuzu on the 350 V8. As always, work anything hard enough and THEY WILL BREAK.  
2ML67
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 12:21:30 pm »

The stock Isuzu 5spd will hold up to a V6 as long as you know how to drive it properly and not abuse it.
You will need a V6 clutch and an Isuzu 4cyl throw out bearing to make it work.
spd shifter and cables will be ok as well as tranny mounts, bolts right to the V6. Reccomend you instal a new clutch fluid line from master to slave and the reverse light switch is on the tranny. Swapping pedals can be a challenge make sure you completely unbolt and beware of wiring harness above column when removing pedals. Dan
cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 04:01:31 pm »

What 2ML67 said! My 350 is bolted to an Isuzu 5spd and have NO ' problems'! That rumour was spread by an 'ill'-informed Pennock Forum participant who has preached this every chance he gets! V8Archie uses Isuzus for anything under 400 horses! I have approx 300+hp turning 4"extended axles with foot wide shoes and have used both the Muncie 4spd and the Isuzu 5spd. My choice would be the Isuzu...every time. Now, if you've got more than 400hp, go with the Getrag, assuming of course that you have plenty of GOLD to give away!
Rodney Dickman sells some excellent needle bearing seals that will properly support(&seal) your axles. He also sells some bushings for better/smoother shifting. Make sure you take the entire shifter assembly & cables from the Isuzu. I'm not sure about your ECM, after the auto > standard swap, you may need to find a V6 ECM from a standard tranny also!
my .02
Sandy
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 05:09:11 pm »

email or pm our other Eric (Fierodough).  He switched from auto tranny to Isuzu 5 speed last year and will be able to tell you EXACTLY what you need.

I wouldn't expect any problems unless it's used very hard.
fiero308
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 08:59:32 am »

GARY!!!!! yer BACK!!
have you wrung yourself out yet?  Welcome back to the land of accents and attitudes (oops, I guess that is where you just were, too!  Grin )
hope you enjoyed yourself; that is my fave place to go.  Love it down there.
talk soon and I am sure you are already elbow deep in grease...... Wink

On the tranny front, I MAY have a trans or two for sale but am checking and will post soon on that.  One 4 spd (V6) and one 5 spd (Beretta Quad 4; needs diff bell housing)  CHEAP!!!; just want to get it out of the mess that is my garage.  I will get back on this asap.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 10:56:20 am »

GARY!!!!! yer BACK!!
have you wrung yourself out yet?  Welcome back to the land of accents and attitudes (oops, I guess that is where you just were, too!  Grin )
hope you enjoyed yourself; that is my fave place to go.  Love it down there.
talk soon and I am sure you are already elbow deep in grease...... Wink

Haha, you old fart!!!!   Grin  Welcome to the 21st century...

I'm still down in Karl's homeland.   Enjoying the cooler weather and not at all missing the work I'm supposed to be doing at home.  I'll post a pic later.

Gary
fiero308
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 11:08:38 am »

still retired to your summer home by the sea.  How nice.   Cool
That means I can safely dump this load of scrap metal in your driveway and nobody will know where it came from???  (imaginary cackle of maniacal laughter from an overworked, jealous, holiday-deprived and otherwise just depraved sinister being.......  Tongue Undecided  Sad...)

well good for you.  Make sure you enjoy it enough for BOTH of us; that is as close as I am going to get to holidays this summer from the look of it.
talk when you get back.... have a good one!!!
gp
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: % spped transmission « previous next »
Jump to: