Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:17:05 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Need some help, car's stalling... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need some help, car's stalling...  (Read 1275 times)
maxx
« on: July 23, 2003, 12:45:38 pm »

Hey guys, we'll my car is ready to go, it passed a 100 point inspection for safety (!!!!) and I was about to head over to get it etested but it started stalling. Every time I stop for the light, RPM would drop below 500 and it sounds like it's choking and stalls... If I don't fully stop but hit the gas abain it accelerates fine, no problems at all (pulls nice and engine immediatelly starts working like a charm). But it's only when i accelerate and hit the brakes and stop that it stalls. Now this is a 84 2m4, auto and it's been sitting for at least 2 years. I just put all new suspension/brakes/lines/hoses/wiring/god knows what else, but I did not touch the engine. Two years ago before I put it in storage I did a tuneup with new plugs/wires/etc which were never used till now... Sooo... I'm looking on the web and Haynes and such but I can't seem to figure it out. Never had a automatic before so I don't know what I'm looking for? Is there a sensor besides the TPS that tells it how to idle? It idles perfect in park, 700rpm. Idles cold starts at 1900rpm and drops down to 700rpm when warmed up so that's all good. It works fine on acceleration so I assume fuel gets to the carb fine. So maybe some kind of a sensor but I don't know what I'm looking for? Ideas?

Marko
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 01:08:06 pm »

Okay, I never have had an auto Fiero so take this for what it's worth.

There is a TCC solenoid on the top (I think) of the tranny.  This is what controls the lockup function of the torque converter. If this is bad then when you come to a stop, the car acts like a manual tranny car if you forget to push the clutch in. Shudder, shake, stall.

Try unplugging this solenoid and see if the problem stops.  If so you may need a new one.  I have a link somewhere for fixing and will see if I can find it.Other things may be the TPS, throttle cable adjustment or IAC.

There is a pintle in the IAC (idle air control) that becomes pretty sooty and may be blocking air flow.

Anyway I'll vote to try the TCC first.  Don't buy any new bits as I'm sure someone has known good parts that you can use to check out the problem's source first.
Gary
maxx
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 02:51:32 pm »

Thanks Gary, I'm reading about the TCC right now. I'll let you know what happens.

On the other note, I just did the ECU test and it just flashes code 12 over and over so it's not the TPS or anything that the ECU can identify.
maxx
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 03:54:49 pm »

Update: It's not the TCC, just took it out and the cars stalls just the same. So I figure it must the air, fuel or vacum problem. I checked all teh vacum lines and they seem ok. I tried adjusting the idle speed but I can't find the bolt? Just that automatic fast idle control sensor, so I took that out and cleaned it. Maybe my vcarb needle is not closing? But then I'd see fuel drip from the injector after the car is off and it's not doing that.

So my question is can I adjust the idle speed and how would I go about it?

Thanks,
Marko
maxx
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 08:00:47 pm »

Does anyone have a working TPS sensor that I could borow to test my car with? I just can't find the damn problem with the engine.... I want to try this as a last resort before taking it to the mechanic.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 08:16:12 pm »

The idle screw is set at the factory and plugged.  There should be a plug or small hole looks like it's filled with wax.  My advice is not to play with it.

I don't have anything left, but you might try member 'chris'.  Call Wally Becker Mtrs on Wellington and ask for chris.  He may have a spare there or may try his from his 4 banger.
Just as an aside I had a snag with my 2.8 TPS and it did not set a code.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Need some help, car's stalling... « previous next »
Jump to: