Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:06:12 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Dying lifter symptoms « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dying lifter symptoms  (Read 1299 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: July 08, 2003, 10:03:08 am »

Picture if you will an idle which occasionally for short amounts of time sounds & feels like you have a weak or dead cylinder, then returns to normal.

Now add to this image, a wavering oil pressure, and a light ticking sound which closely resembles the tick I get from my bike when I need to adjust the lifters (again).

These are the first signs of a failing lifter and/or a cam lobe going flat, aren't they?

edited due to finger/brain communication failure
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 12:27:50 pm by dguy » Logged

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 12:06:55 pm »

Both my van and Jimmy (4.3's) do something similar and so did my old 2.8.  Maybe not so ticky but had a wonky spot in the idle.  I always put it down to an electrical thing where the signal gets changed a bit for a few seconds and then resets.

fiero1
Moving UP!

dark-rider

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 12:26:50 pm »

The only tick,tick tick im getting from my 2.8 is that damn cracked manifold of mine,still havent changed it just can't get in the mood this year it's just sitting collecting dust...... Undecided
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 12:43:16 pm »

I don't have the famous front manifold crack...  yet.  I'm waiting for it to arrive though.  Might use that as an excuse to port 'n polish the manifolds after they're R&R'd, or tie & gag my little financial voice while I hunt down a nice set of headers.    Cheesy

Methinks I'll just leave the wandering idle/oil pressure/etc. symptoms be for now.  I have enough on my plate as it is.

Unfortunately after I get the nose swap done I'm going to put any further toy tinkering on hold while I get the Jetta ready for another winter.  Oil pump, water pump, block heater, starter, tires, brakes, rear struts...  put me out of my misery now, please.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero1
Moving UP!

dark-rider

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 08:49:14 am »

:)Gary gave me a pair of manifolds to which i haven't installed yet i want to make sure the flange part of the manifolds are straight so they will be shipped to a machine shop to have them checked.As of the car itself well it's sitting collecting alot of dust this year not much in the mood to drive it this year maybe once or twice a month i may take it to the corner store Cool,im just afraid of an another breakdown i havent spent one summer as of yet that this thing broke down Undecided,it takes alot of the fun out of owning a car like this as everytime it breakesdown it always cost a bloody fortune for repaires i love the car but i wish i would've stuck to the old chevys. I had 3 camaros,63 Impala SS,1956 chevy @ when it came to maintenance it would never come close to what this car has cost me, yes it is unique but at what cost Undecided :-\The only thing i haven't replaced is the interior @ the engine.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Dying lifter symptoms « previous next »
Jump to: