Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:14:39 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion?  (Read 99613 times)
hellfish87gt
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2004, 11:48:40 am »

so aaron what is left to do on your car? it seems almost done. or has it been ready to drive, just you want it 100% done when you acually pull it out.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2004, 12:23:45 pm »

It’s driveable now, but I’m still tuning the computer.  Unfortunately that involves a lot of driving and hard acceleration.  It’s on the road now but won’t be officially on the road until sometime next week.

Also I still have to put in the front shocks and springs.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
hellfish87gt
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2004, 03:12:33 pm »

ya tuning is goign to take alot of time. i have mine running but it wont idle, but i'm assuming that it is because there was no way to predict how it would run at 0 degreess, on CHRfabs part. that and the IAC is beina bitch
i'm also tryign not to piss the neighbors off to much Cheesy
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2004, 04:43:30 pm »

Basically all the values for air temperature compensation will have to be modified, because on my computer they weren’t done right (the increase due to air temp was too small).  Same as Idol Air Control and a few other things.  Expect to have to modify all the tables, (and that’s a lot of tables).  Start from what they suggest and move on in the order the book suggests.

In case you were wondering the Holley book says, air density increases aprox. 1% for every 11°F drop in temp.  It’s not quite true because the rate of change changes with the temperature but that’ll give you a very good starting point.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
hellfish87gt
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2004, 07:44:30 pm »

well my first hurdle was the bad MAP sensor, so that was why i was suuuuuuuuuper rich. but now i have another one, and it's working better
but i still cant get a good idle but all the tables will need to be altered
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2004, 04:19:32 pm »

Passed E-Test today no problem.

Aaron

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2004, 08:44:40 am »

If anyone wants to know what other people thought after getting a ride, check out this thread.

http://www.fierodrivers.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1637

Now that I’m on the road with this beast, this is how you will recognize me.

Aaron

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 07:01:24 pm by aaron88 » Logged

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2004, 08:49:37 am »

Now that I’m on the road with this beast, this is how you will recognize me.

Cripes if Eric was given the gears over his simple licence plate cover, you're going to be in deep doo-doo for your rear plate!   Wink Grin

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2004, 08:58:02 am »

Okay so I blanked out the plate on the photo, but I was referring to the exhaust.  I just think it’s a good idea to blank the plate on internet photo’s.

Aaron

GoFast85
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2004, 07:42:31 am »

You e-teted it as a 8 or as a stock 88?
Mine is going in next? week.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2004, 01:23:42 pm »

I E-Tested as a hot-rod, V8, 4.6L (no cat's)

I wasn't able to go to Canadian tire to get this done because they had no idea how to test a hot-rod.  I went to the dealer to get it done.  They let me go in with the car and hook up my computer while they tested (I don't trust the mechanics to not hot-rod).

Aaron

« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 01:30:10 pm by aaron88 » Logged

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2004, 09:09:12 am »

Aaron,

What made you choose the Holley Commander over other aftermarket PCMs, or "hacking" a Caddy PCM?

-d.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
GoFast85
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2004, 10:05:39 am »

Aaron -- which dealer?
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2004, 11:56:03 am »

What made you choose the Holley Commander over other aftermarket PCMs, or "hacking" a Caddy PCM?

Basically the story goes like this.

I had a friend of mine ask a friend of his if he would consider working on my Caddy computer for me.  I went to this guy because he is so good that it would be imposable to get better support from the GM engineers that wrote the code themselves.  This guy is that good.  But anyway; when this guy looked at the Cadillac computer he made a few discoveries that would require many hours of labour to remedy.  Basically if I was going to do the job right (I don’t like doing it any other way) one of the chips on the board was going to have to be de-soldered have the code extracted and a new reprogrammable one put in it’s place.  Outside of that there would still be an interface program to write and table tuning to do.  So although Stuart (computer guy) was willing to go through the labour, that expensive Holley Commander 950 was starting to look like a lot less trouble.  Two days later I told Stuart that I was going to go the Holley route, because to be honest, neither him or I had the time to spare.

Quote from: GoFast85
Aaron -- which dealer?

Bennett in Carleton Place.

Aaron

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2004, 11:36:49 am »

Time for a little update;

The clutch is holding up, well but it’s taking a little getting used to. It engages right on the floor.  I’m going to have to make a little notch in the carpet to get it to feel right, because as it is now I have to push fairly hard into the carpet to get the clutch fully disengaged.  Also notable is that I can’t leave my foot resting on the clutch peddle between shifts because even that much pressure on the clutch is enough to make it slip at full torque.  Alternately I could have got the Kevlar clutch and saved a bit of money but then I wouldn’t have gotten a clutch with such a good feel (the Kevlar clutch would have been all grabby and chattery during normal driving).  But it’s a matter of personal preference as usual.

The transmission seems to be fine and the right axle has not given me any trouble.  I suspected that I might have a problem with the right (longer) axle because of the fact that I moved the motor (and therefore transmission) over but used the same axles.  I may still decide to add a half shaft and go with equal length axles but as it is now both tires will spin equally on take off, so there isn’t much need for one right now, but I’ll have to see how much abuse the transmission will take before making a final decision.

Full throttle; no problem
Spinning the tires; no problem
All out rev her up and launch from a stop; not a good idea, in fact I haven’t done this and don’t plan on doing it.  I can launch fairly fast and with some tire spin but I fear giving it everything is going to result in loss of transmission parts.  So as far as how I’m driving the car?  And how hard one can drive the car with the combination of engine and transmission that I have?  I drive as hard as I want in any gear, I just don’t rev then drop the clutch.  Instead I engage the clutch then hammer the gas, and trust me this is more than enough to spin the tires so be careful.

Spark advance;
I’m still working on this.  The holley commander that I got from CHRFab did not come with the knock sensor wiring.  Allen tells me that he never hooks up the sensor.  This doesn’t boad well with me.  Therefore I’m going too hook up the sensor to an oscilloscope to find out how to get it wired into the computer.  The thing is (I’m told) that with an aluminum block it’s much more tricky to get a knock sensor to work properly.  But I’ll get it to work with the holley and I’m sure it’ll be simple in the end.  Once I have the oscilloscope hooked up I should be able to tune the spark tables fairly well, but for now the jury is still out.

Aaron

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Jump to: