Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:27:55 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion?  (Read 99649 times)
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2005, 09:26:54 am »

Who do you trust more..

The good Folks @ autometer , or the GM installed factory sensor

Autometer says she is running at 215-220

laptop through the commander software says 195

Damm autometer got me all worried.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2005, 09:49:52 am »

Autometer says she is running at 215-220

laptop through the commander software says 195

If you can borrow/rent/steal an ifrared scanner, I wonder if there'd be any value in scanning the temp of the outgoing coolant hose?   Undecided

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2005, 11:12:27 am »

I tapped the Coolant sensor for the gauge into the heater core line return I made off the engine. I used Copper pipee and a few 90's to make it , soldered it up and painted it black.. not glamourous , but it works.. I think the copper is really conducting the heat and it's picking up heat off the motor. I trust the computer far more than a gauge.

7 hours til Dyno Time!
northfiero
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2005, 11:58:04 am »

7 hours til Dyno Time!

Yesssssssss!    Cool
northfiero
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2005, 02:54:24 pm »

Well I think I figured out my problem.  On decel, at high vacuum and low rpms, it was leaning out, causing the rpms to go crazy.  Hopefully this fixes it, I'm getting tired of tuning.   Undecided
northfiero
« Reply #245 on: May 04, 2005, 10:51:21 pm »

finally got a chance to take a test drive.  Drives like ass.  I hate this damn car.  Anybody want a northstar fiero?  anyone?   Embarrassed

It was making a "whirring" noise too.  Probably because it's ready to spin a bearing. 

I'm going to give it a once-over tomorrow.  Maybe the intake gasket is leaking or something.  I dont know.  I pray it's something simple, because this car is taxing me to death.  (Why can't I just DRIVE YOU!!!) 
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2005, 10:20:53 am »

Finally weighed the car:

2760 lb without driver.  It’s about what I expected.

Now I have to put the car on a 350 lb diet.

Aaron

« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 12:22:09 pm by aaron88 » Logged

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
GoFast88
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2005, 12:12:20 pm »

My 88 3.8 weighed in at 2880 empty fuel, so is 110 lbs heavier. Must be that auto tranny that acounts for the weight change.
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2005, 12:16:02 pm »

My car ate it's 255GPH Walbro Fuel pump. Had it flatbedded back to the dealership where I work and another pump is on it's way. I pulled the intake as well since the starter is starting to be tempermental , so I will have it rebuilt as well , throw my z06 injectors in and head back to the dyno. I think a lot of my fuel problems have been due to a faulty pump all along. I picked up a B&M pressure gauge for the rail and an Earls hi flow filter..Hopefully this recify's my issues...

It's an on-going battle!
northfiero
« Reply #249 on: May 10, 2005, 03:15:26 pm »

It's an on-going battle!
I hear ya!

Get an acdelco pump!  You won't be sorry! 
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2005, 04:06:25 pm »

I hate to admit this.. I think I killed the pump. In my eager state to ge the car running I slapped a fuel filter on it without reading what was on the side. I looked at the flow arrow and away I went. Upon closer inspection the filter has molded into it ""TO CARB"" IE it's deisgned for a Carb application..which flows the bit 6psi.. not the 43 or so Im tring to jam through it.. I think the puimp just overheated due to the restriction of the filter. The Pump will support 750hp N/A Motors or 450 Forced induction ponies.. it was basically working against itself.

Lesson learned.  I will pull the tank and replace the pump thursday afternoon. This will probalby make a big difference @ the DynO!
stroker
« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2005, 08:57:31 pm »

what?
is there a 255gph mfg by delco?
if there is what's the part number?

Slammed Fiero
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2005, 10:07:44 am »

Delco doesn't have a 255GPH Pump that I know of.  The walbro 255gph pump is $50 more than a 89 turbo Ta pump and the same price as a 96 Corvette pump , neither of which flow the same Numbers... it's a no brainer. I got mine from JRP in oakville.

The injectors are being cleaned as we speak. Im going to get a good tune on      them , then maybe swap to the z06 injectors I have and see if I can't find a few more ponies. Due to my freeflowing (almost too good) exhaust my car is really drinking back the fuel, thank god for wideband tuning.  Im not going into my Dyno numbers yet , but I am putting down more torque than any 5spd N* car I have seen Dyno'd. Most Guys are in the 245-250 range and with a shitty tune I am above that considerably.

Then comes the Nitrous.... 400 @ the wheels is the goal!
northfiero
« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2005, 05:17:43 pm »

You mean LPH?

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/walbro/

255gph would be like a fountain pump...

I don't remember what the corvette ac delco's are, but they're probably not that high.  I think it's like 150l/hr, which is good for 400hp.  They're made to last for the life of the car though, which is good because changing FPs sucks.
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #254 on: May 12, 2005, 09:29:41 pm »

No , it's 255GPH pump as listed by Walbro on their site and used by many!

Well , it's not the pump. I pulled the tank tonight , tested the pump it works fine. Tested both right @ the pump and at the harness connector , both times pump worked fine. The ECM when connected to the laptop says the pump is working fine.

Driving @ 70mph on QEW the car just died... and hasn't lived since.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Jump to: