Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:10:49 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion?  (Read 99619 times)
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2005, 01:17:14 pm »

The Mufflers weren't low end by any means , but I don't think they were intended for such a short exhaust system. Also being all 2.5" mandrel bent there is very little restriction.

As for the computer..I spoke with alan this morning , it's not a cable and it's not a friend computer. here's the response he got from holley

What is happening below I have heard of several times.  It has been
traced, typically to a faulty electrical device, typically the
alternator giving out a lot of EMI.  This causes the RAM in the C950 to
get "scrambled".  The map has to be redownloaded. Unfortunately what
also happens sometimes, is that the password protection gets scrambled
and enabled.  You then can't get into the system.  It won't let you send
or view the data, but it will show "online" on the fuel map, vs offline.

There is a backdoor to disable the password protection.  You go into
"engine parameters", and you "click" a few times with the cursor on the
"box" that surrounds the injector firing type (1 pulse per rev, tbi,
etc).  This disables the password protection.

This is honestly the only issue I am aware of with the system.  As I
said, it is typically from a failing/faulty alternator, or they have the
switched power hooked up to an unclean source.  I just had this happen.
A person had a TON of stuff hooked up to the same switched power point.
Not the right gauge of wire and they had an accumsump hooked up to it as
well which is a large coil.  I had them isolate the switched power with
a relay and they haven't had an issue yet.

I can get you 3.5" U bend Aluminum bend ""U"" shape. The gentleman who is building my headers gave me the 3" U bend. He Builds turbo Civics.  HOw did you build the plate to adapt the intake to the TB now that the  MAF is gone?? or did you cut the MAF?
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #211 on: March 23, 2005, 02:58:14 pm »

HOw did you build the plate to adapt the intake to the TB now that the  MAF is gone?? or did you cut the MAF?

I didn’t take any photo’s of it because it was so simple.  What I did was make an adapter plate to match the bolt holes and the opening for the MAF sensor out of plastic.  Then glued a 3.5” piece of plastic tubing (about 2” long) to it with ABS glue.  Added a piece of thin weather strip between the throttle body and the adapter plate.  Now it’s just a matter of finding the right tubing for the filter and clamp it on.

I’ll take some photos when I go to get my car.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 07:10:21 pm by aaron88 » Logged

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2005, 03:04:57 pm »

I can get you 3.5" U bend Aluminum bend ""U"" shape. The gentleman who is building my headers gave me the 3" U bend. He Builds turbo Civics.

How thick is that tubing?  All the tubing I found was way too thick.  The thing only needs to hold -1 psig, and I don’t want to add extra weight for nothing.  Looking for somewhere around 20 gauge.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
northfiero
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2005, 03:11:05 pm »

20 gauge?  that's pretty thin.  maybe an HVAC supplier would have ductwork like that?  Strangely enough, you have the same setup I have - PVC pipe  Cool

oh - what I did was took a large (6" dia??) pvc cap, and cut a flange out of it to mate to the TB, and drilled a hole in that big enough for some 3" PVC, which I glued to the flange.  The 3" pvc is larger than the TB bore, so I don't think there's anything to gain from going larger than that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 03:16:37 pm by northfiero » Logged
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2005, 02:16:23 pm »

Sent my ECU back to Alan, I tried for 2 hrs to get into it with 0 success. He said no problems that he would take care of it. Chrfab has been great for customer service.

I picked up another surge tank today. The C4 corvette one I have is nice , but a little cramped. I have seen it used where the battery was by a gentleman on Pennocks when he did a 3.5ltr shortstar swap.  I followed Chris moores advice and got one from a grand am. , it's a nice black top unti , measures 4" wide x 11" long. The corvette unit was about 6x12 and concaved on the underside for the fenderwell.

Apperently in the 8 swaps chris Moore has done he has always capped off the front rad permanently (actually had custom rads built) and used a surge tank in the rear. Then the system just purges itself. My next purchase will be a Griffin Aluminum Rad for the car. Still lots more to go  detail wise , hopefully i can make it to carlilse..
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2005, 10:01:49 am »

chris Moore has done he has always capped off the front rad permanently (actually had custom rads built) and used a surge tank in the rear. Then the system just purges itself.

This is the right way to do it.  Cap the overflow at the front rad.  But making sure the right points are used for the surge tank is just as important.  I have posted about that on one of the former pages.

Aaron

Slammed Fiero
« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2005, 04:59:08 pm »

Got my ECU back from alan , it was scambled , he re-programmed it all and sent it back.  Got a new surge tank..

off I go.
northfiero
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2005, 01:47:27 am »

it was scambled
That's ridiculous.  Why don't they have internal protection from alternator spikes or whatever?  Sounds like holley dropped the ball, and I'd bet that's what happened to mine.  Another reason for me to consider switching away from holley.
PBJ
« Reply #218 on: April 04, 2005, 12:13:05 am »

I was in contact with Alan at CHRFAB mid week when I ordered mine and we discussed Slammed's holley 950 because I too did not want to buy some piece of equipment that would have this same problem.  The Holley is much like any other computer, if you don't save your data or back up your data it will be lost. Otherwise your holley reverts back to the stock configuration that can not run a N*. CHRFAB is not about to leak out their N* program to get the holley back up and running, so you have to send it back to them.

Alan told me, to prevent what happend to Slammed's, is to make sure I have a back up program in the lap top. For example: if you made changes to the N* set up in for example, Program 1, save it. If that doesn't work then make some more changes and save as Program 2. Don't keep overwritting the same one. And what you do change and like, be sure to save it to the Holley Commander and not just to the software on the laptop. If you don't reprogram the commander, it will go back to it's stock configuration from Holley and will require reprogramming from CHRFAB.  Cheesy

Does this make sense???  It did when I talked with them on the phone about it. But it's difficult to explain in words than over the phone.   Huh I guess it's all in how you save it or don't save it.

Pete
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2005, 01:02:48 pm »

I am going to start putting miles on the car starting next weekend. I will bring it back to Oakville and drive it daily. Then off to the Dyno and if all goes well I will be headed to Carlilse. Off to the paint shop first thou..

I have allt he faith int he world in Alan @ CHRFAB and Holley. Alan is a good guy and gives me no reason to think the holley is  a bad setup by any means.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2005, 01:17:23 pm »

PBJ said what I was assuming everyone was doing.

For the record I have over 20 different configurations saved under headings such as date and modification.

I even have data logs of the different configurations so that I can look back and compare.

Aaron

Slammed Fiero
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2005, 02:42:28 pm »

Wasn't so much a case of me not being able to upload maps becasue I didn't have the,. I had both aarons maps and alans on file. THe problem lied in that The ECU wasn't linking to the computer becasue of the password protection. While the maps on the laptop zero'd , the ECU itself still quite clearly had data on it as it would prime the pump for 5 seconds , but not start.

NO harm , no foul. Cost me $120 in UPS to get it there and back in a timely fashion , and a lot of frustration ,b ut alan set my mind @ ease.

JM
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2005, 04:23:33 pm »

It might not be a bad idea to use a small criciuit to regulate the power supply.  I'm already working out the details.

crzyone
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2005, 08:03:36 pm »

Nice detail on the swap.  Looks like you did a quality install.  I'm just starting on mine, nice to see what someone else has done before I start.

Afro
Slammed Fiero
« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2005, 09:24:13 am »

my car is 99.9% complete!! Cheesy

I got back the ECM , installed it and the car fired right up... IT turned out it was the cable all along! We pulled appart the cable and it had a broken wire @ the connector. The car goes in this week for an alignment , I need to readjust the shift cables and it's done mechanically. I installed the new seats ,the interior is all back together , rear swaybar is on.

Oddly enough I couldn't get the car to idle properly with Aarons maps , when I loaded alans base maps the car idled right down. IT does run rich though . I have an appt for the Dyno in 2 weeks.

Finally!

JM
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Jump to: