Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:27:57 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: smoke « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: smoke  (Read 1630 times)
JP_86_2M4
« on: June 06, 2003, 10:41:54 pm »

I have noticed that when I start off in first gear the car gives off blue smoke almost every time after I run it for a while.  It also does it all the time when I put it in reverse.  This is prob a seals job, so I would like to know how long/difficult it is to do such a job on a 2.5L?  thanks
fiero308
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 07:20:07 pm »

hi JP
are you going or planning on doing it yourself?
Have you done head work before? If you are sure it is valve seals (maybe a simple compression check would be an idea? Wink ) then from what I have seen of the 4's it shouldn't be too bad.  I have seen quite a few of them in junkyards and they look quite accessible.  If you are a bit handy and experienced then a weekend should do it providing as always that you have the parts on hand.......... Angry
If it is rings then you probably should be looking at a head job anyway; as rings is a pretty good indicator of overall wear and age etc.
good luck with it!!
FieroDough
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 09:46:52 am »

id's say 90% chance it's the valve seals. Get an air chuck, modify and old spark plug, 80psi odda do it. Smiley  I have a vavle spring compressor.

You can do it with the head on this way. Get this, ona 4 cyl, this repair may cost you less then $20.00 Tongue

then decarb the engine like crazy, change oil, drive happy. Smiley

Cheers!
Eric
JP_86_2M4
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 09:26:24 pm »

are you serious!???!
20 $ job!!   Grin

I thought the seals would be more then that.  Well thats good, the ball joints have cost me a lot anyway.  I bought the ball joints at CT and the back were 35$ each.  I then get it done at this garage in the west end and apparently the rear ball joints from CT were the wrong ones!!  He could only find rear ball joints at $160 each at the dealership!!.....ended up costing not $400 but $830......I nearly dropped dead.  Shocked
I did use this decarb product a couple of years ago when getting the oil changed so I am not sure how often I am suppose to do it.  Eric if you are not too busy, maybe we could get together at your place and take a look at changing the seals.  I would really appreciate that.   I still don't know how long it would take using your method, so if it takes too much time, I wouldn't want to interfere with your schedual.  
FieroDough
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 11:30:48 am »

We cans et something up, on a 2.5L it's 8 valves, so.. my guess is about an hour or so. ?? that sound right? (plus taking off the valve cover)
Sentinel
Returns to active lurker status
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

Wrapped in Horsepower, Driving into Fury......

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 05:55:05 pm »

possible tech event for those intrested in seeing it done?Huh?

We drive so fast , it seems as though , we take into the sky, the Fiero Machines in Harmony , Hear the Engines Cry
Andrew
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 06:11:52 pm »

i wouldn't mind seeing this done, I get the blue smoke out of the tail pipe sporadically. (maybe twice a week, only in first gear  and lasts for about 30 sec) or maybe a dumbed down version of what you guys are talking about .
JP_86_2M4
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 03:48:23 pm »

thats a great idea Steve!  Cheesy

We can probably setup something for the 5th or 6th of July......I am not sure if its ok for Eric....so Eric should be the one deciding when is a good time....but I should be free every weekend since my graduation was last week....that is why I couldn't make it to the meeting.
Sentinel
Returns to active lurker status
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

Wrapped in Horsepower, Driving into Fury......

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 11:10:22 pm »

that day might work well, we have a meeting the 5th plus there is a cruise at Can Tire on Conroy from 4:30-8:00

We drive so fast , it seems as though , we take into the sky, the Fiero Machines in Harmony , Hear the Engines Cry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: smoke « previous next »
Jump to: