Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:46:23 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: F23 transmission to use or not to use? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: F23 transmission to use or not to use?  (Read 1589 times)
Backtothe80s
Fiero Beginner

« on: January 31, 2017, 06:43:14 pm »

Hi everyone looking for advice on using an f23 transmission.

Does it bolt directly to the 2.8 or do you need to swap  the bell housing off the 282?

Can you use the stock 5spd shifter cables?

Do you require any shifter mechanism mods?

I understand that the mounts will not line up.

I also believe you can use stock axles?

Any ideas on clutch and flywheel set ups? Can you use stock?

I'm doing a stock to stock engine swap Using another 88 frame(I will be storing the original engine trans and frame).  The reason I bought the car is to drive it and I don't want to Granade the OE drivetrain.  I'm not dropping another v6 or v8 as I want the car to still look stock.  It may seem strange to some but that is another post!

Any help and guidance and feedback is appreciated.  I have an option to buy a brand new f23 or use one of 3 getrag 282's I currently have available to me.

Thanks in advance
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 07:41:39 pm »

Personally I think that if you aren't doubling the horsepower you really don't need to upgrade the transmission.  I've been kind of hard on my 282 (later model), and I didn't brake it.

You don't need to stick with the 2.8 if you want the engine to look stock.  You could use the 3.4.  I mean if your going to all that trouble, there would be no real difference, in look.

Kind of need more information to advise anything beyond that.

There's tons of reading on the subject at this and other forums.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:31 am »

for use with the 2.8 might as well stay with the 282 as 2.8 even modified won't hurt this tranny and you already have one to use. To use the F23 custom mounts and shifter brackets are needed and a longer shift cable to work properly plus the VSS out put of the F23 does not match what the Fiero ECM is programmed to work with and 2000 to 2002 F23 that fits is 394 geared making revs higher on the highway then the 282.
Backtothe80s
Fiero Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:37:35 pm »

Hi Aaron/Dan,

Thanks for the quick response!  I think the confusion was caused by me Aaron as a few weeks back I PM'd you stating my plan was to turbo the 2.8 I had bought but I have done a 180 since, after speaking with my insurance and the costs involved to turbo the engine.  

Although I like what you and others have done, i just think it's going to be a project I will also never finish that's it's not the road I want take anymore.

That being said;

So my plan now is to use the stock 1988 2.8l I bought with 60k on it.

I had seen on some forums/sites that the f23 could be used.  But after hearing about the gear ratios from Dan and the amount of work involved from both of you I think I will go with the 282.  One of the 282's I have available to me is a front wheel drive with a final drive of 3.940.  So I guess Rodney Dickmans adaptor will need to be bought to make it work.  I was hoping to update to a newer manual so I would have reverse syncro's but not if the final drive will be worse.

I'm not hard on the car and I'm not looking to race so I think like you both said this is my best option.

The reason for my engine/trans swap is that my 282 actually has an internal issue.  In the fall I was coming off the Hwy  and while down shifting from 4th to 3rd at about 60k I heard a clicking sound and depressed the clutch and re engaged and lost 3rd -5th! So now I only have 1st to 2nd and reverse. Not sure at this point what the cause is?  

I have located another 88 frame and plan on just doing a re and re for now unless I decide to do another 180! LOL!

Thanks again for both your advise.

This forum has been a great help and guidance! 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:54:15 pm by Backtothe80s » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: F23 transmission to use or not to use? « previous next »
Jump to: