Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:01:03 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Fuel Injector Testing « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuel Injector Testing  (Read 4005 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: August 10, 2015, 05:04:44 pm »

Is anyone aware of a shop in the area which is equipped to do off-engine testing and/or cleaning of fuel injectors?

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 02:29:28 pm »

Not in ottawa, but it seems fairly easy to DIY.  Check online, it doesn't look like there is much to it.  I'll see if I can find some of the links I used....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMM6Mk79rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUgR94drxg
or send them away if you want them done properly, but it's close to the cost of new injectors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tS8kPqnIY4

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 02:36:56 pm »

Thanks Aaron.  Unfortunately I have neither a donor harness with which to cobble together a way to manually fire the injectors, nor the time to skulk about at Kenny's or similar and find an auto harness whose connectors are a match to these.

I've found a place in Burlington which will recondition & test them for ~$30/ea; currently waiting for a etailed quote.

http://www.euro-drive.com/services/injectorclean.asp

$30ea-ish plus shipping in one or both directions is far less than the cost of replacement injectors in this case.  They're for a 2009 Triumph and have a replacement value of ~$170ea. 

For the curious, this thing has spark, compression, fuel pressure, unobstructed fuel lines & rail, ECU-to-F/I wiring is good, no DTCs, good F/I signal at each injector verified via noid light, but no fuel spray.

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:45:37 pm »

I bought bosch fully flow matched and tested for way less than that.  I paid 289 for eight plus shipping, thats $36ea +.  Came from "fuel injector connection dot com".  When I bought them they called me the same day to confirm what car they were going in so that they could make sure they sent the right calibration to me.  Nice guys I thought.  I also have some mustang 19 lb injectors you can have.  But in fairness I did pay over $79 each to replace six fuel injectors on my Northstar (which obviously after looking around I didn't have to).

For that price you quoted I'd try to clean them at least once.  Use a gator clip on one pin and just touch the other side with the wire.  Or use a small bread board to set up a circuit.  I always have a few laying around just in case.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:52:18 pm »

Is the fuel rail pressure inside the spec'd range.  If you have an over-pressure there may be too much pressure for the injector to open.  My northstar injector will stop working over 65psi, that's why I have my rail at 60.

There is a high likelyhood that even if the injectors aren't the problem that you still need to clean them, but it does seem that they are the problem.  If you command the injector to open and they don't then they aren't working properly.  Is there a reason you aren't looking aftermarket?

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 02:31:45 pm »

Rail pressure is bang-on at the spec'd 3bar.

Not looking at aftermarket as finding and cutting a deal with a wholesaler who is willing to work in small quantities isn't likely worth the time investment in this case.  We're first & foremost a tire shop; other mechanical work such as this particular job is a sideline.

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 11:30:40 pm »

I kind of know how you feel.  It sounds like sending them away is the best use of your time.  Even if it doesn't fix the problem they probably need a cleaning anyway.

I'd forget about the detailed quote.  It won't matter to them anyway if something isn't how they expected.  Until they get them they don't really know what they need to do with them anyway.  I'd go more for the guaranty.  Insure them both ways to make sure you have something for your effort.  Check BBB.

Cheers,

Aaron

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Fuel Injector Testing « previous next »
Jump to: