Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:46:21 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Question « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question  (Read 4620 times)
GT_Gulf
Fiero Owner

« on: April 14, 2014, 08:36:16 pm »

I have an 88 formula with 175km that is in good mechanical condition. On a 1-10 scale how bad of an idea is it to do a burnout?
c-l
Global Moderator
Moving UP!

Ottawa Fiero Club President

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:11 pm »

it realy depends on how good a traction your tires offer..... if they slip at nothing, burnout to your heart's content   Evil

......... There is always a way!
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:11:19 am »

Fiero's don't really do the greatest burn outs.
GT_Gulf
Fiero Owner

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:02:13 pm »

My fiero has pretty good all season tires that will slip if I floor it around a corner in first. But they won't slip if I floor it from a stop unless I launch it.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:28:23 am »

Burnouts with open differentials can be hard on the spider & side gears under the right conditions.  Keep in mind that although your Formula is in good condition, it is nevertheless 26 years old.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
GT_Gulf
Fiero Owner

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:34:57 am »

That's why I asked before I went and did a burnout. I doubt I will do one now since I can potentially damage it that bad.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 01:51:17 pm »

If you do wreck the transmission you can get a used one from a front wheel drive car and put in a kit to reverse the shift linkages and you should be good at that.  So you don't have to track down a fiero transmission if you do blow one, because that would be much harder and more expensive.

Have fun, but try to avoid dumping the clutch, or hammering the gas and brake at the same time.  The rest should be fine.

Cheers,

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 05:03:12 pm »

Nah just drive it like you stole it and enjoy the experience or at least that is what I have always done with mine and only ever broke a few things. Of course things like axles don't count
GT_Gulf
Fiero Owner

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 02:03:55 pm »

I don't know about that in my fiero. Last time I reved it up from 10km/h and dumped the cluitch and blew up my heater core.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:06:57 pm »

Would have to say the heater core was on its way out and the extra surge in pressure finished it off.
GT_Gulf
Fiero Owner

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:21:29 pm »

That's what I figured. Pretty funny hearing my friend scream because of the coolant pouring onto his leg  Cheesy
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 08:32:03 pm »

The only other possibility is that your thermostat does not provide adequate flow and caused an over-pressure.  I have seen that before when they get old, they just don't open up all the way anymore or don't close all the way anymore.  Or maybe your engine wasn't up to temp yet and the thing wasn't even open at all.....don't do that.

In any of those cases the core still wouldn't have gone unless it was done.  Instead you would have blown a bit of coolant though the shaft seal on the water pump.  No big deal.

Cheers,

Aaron

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:34:43 pm by aaron88 » Logged

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
GT_Gulf
Fiero Owner

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 11:04:37 am »

The core was completely toast when I took it off so i'm just glad it was that and not something more critical.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 09:48:44 pm »

Have had a few of the cars I did 3800SC conversions on end up blowing the heater core with in a fairly short period and in every case you could tell the heater core was junk when pulled.
GT_Gulf
Fiero Owner

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »

I have a new question! How are are valve seals to do on a fiero? My buddy was following me and said that there was a puff of oil smoke when I changed gears. Figured it must be the valve seals.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Question « previous next »
Jump to: