Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:38:38 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: F23 Conversions by Aaron88 update « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: F23 Conversions by Aaron88 update  (Read 24535 times)
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 12:51:42 pm »

The tranny I originally built up for my 88 3800SC formula was a 2010 FY1 with a 2002 Sunfire bell housing was a lot of work changing every thing over and I did have a tranny mechanic double check my work before putting into the car. The gears were a nice match for the engine I was using and top end was pretty decent especially when pulling 7000 rpm shifts in each gear but unfortunately the tranny did not survive my abuse eventually blowing the seals out on a high speed run and loosing a lot of fluid all over the engine bay and road and damaging the tranny by the time I got it stopped. The one I replaced it with just to get back on the road when I changed over to my series III 3800SC is also nice but the stock 2002 F23 gear ratio is not the best. In first gear any boost at all and i hit the rev limiter and top end is no longer as nice but mind you it will most likely help keep me out of trouble having the lowered top end.
Both versions are nice and a lot smoother shifting then any 282 I have ever dealt with but sticking with the stock F23 from 2000 to 2002 is a lot easier come build time and as mentioned the FY1 trannies are not so easy to find and usually twice the cost or more then the version that we can use from the 2000 to 2002 Sunfire and cavaliers
blue41
Fiero Beginner

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 06:06:31 pm »

Ive been looking into the swap also. I wouldn't mind hearing more about the gearing in the 2000 - 2002. Ive heard 1st is too low for higher power. Do you feel your having to shift too early? Would that mean first is better suited for taxiing along in a parking lot or incline(or not so abusive driving Grin)? How was the rpm on the highway?
 Sorry to hear your loss the fy1. Some make it sound so easy to swap the housings off. Nice to hear some experience with the switch and amount of effort.  Afro
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:27:53 am by blue41 » Logged
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 10:37:04 pm »

The tranny I originally built up for my 88 3800SC formula was a 2010 FY1 with a 2002 Sunfire bell housing was a lot of work changing every thing over and I did have a tranny mechanic double check my work before putting into the car. The gears were a nice match for the engine I was using and top end was pretty decent especially when pulling 7000 rpm shifts in each gear but unfortunately the tranny did not survive my abuse eventually blowing the seals out on a high speed run and loosing a lot of fluid all over the engine bay and road and damaging the tranny by the time I got it stopped. The one I replaced it with just to get back on the road when I changed over to my series III 3800SC is also nice but the stock 2002 F23 gear ratio is not the best. In first gear any boost at all and i hit the rev limiter and top end is no longer as nice but mind you it will most likely help keep me out of trouble having the lowered top end.
Both versions are nice and a lot smoother shifting then any 282 I have ever dealt with but sticking with the stock F23 from 2000 to 2002 is a lot easier come build time and as mentioned the FY1 trannies are not so easy to find and usually twice the cost or more then the version that we can use from the 2000 to 2002 Sunfire and cavaliers

Cool thanks Dan for your input.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 10:45:20 pm »

Any time you have a high torque motor you are into bypassing gears.  If I was just daily driving my car I would shift from 1st to 3rd to 5th.  Just skip 2nd and 4th.  Unless your getting into it (then you use all the gears).  This is with the 282, and my Northstar.  I don't expect anything different from any other high power motor.  You just don't need all the gears unless your getting into the peddle harder.  For example; as long as my car was up to 40 kph I could just put it into 5th and drive like it was an automatic.

Even the Corvette has a lock out on 2nd (and maybe 3rd.. can't remember?).  So unless you accelerate hard enough it won't even let you shift into second.  They know it useless at that point..   and it saves gas.

This is normal for any high torque motors.

There are so many reasons that you use different gear ratios it's not possible to get into what you would want in a transmission without getting into specifics of how you are going to drive the car,  where you are going to drive the car, what your driving habits are, etc, etc...  You could find out after careful calculation that, what you really want is closer gears.  All depends...

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
DyncExceete
Fiero Beginner

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 09:45:40 pm »

I dont have that, any other Fords share the same rear IFS configuration?  Focus, fiesta etc?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: F23 Conversions by Aaron88 update « previous next »
Jump to: