Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:14:58 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Question for all 3800 SC owners.. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question for all 3800 SC owners..  (Read 2433 times)
FIERO-JOE
Fiero Know-it-all

30 years old!!

« on: February 28, 2012, 10:31:58 am »

OK Lads.. Im looking to make the switch to the powerful world of the 3800 SC engine..
BUT i currently own a 1984 fiero.. and with that i need not get the emmisions test done on that car..
being the grandfather rule and all..
SO if i switch motors to lets say a 1990+ 3800 SC engine would i then have to get it safetied or is it still under the umbrella of being an 84 fiero and nothing more???
thanks..
oh and what series is the best to use to make the change???
joe
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:35:24 am by FIERO-JOE » Logged

Should there be this many extra screws?
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:46:59 am »

Car is still an 84, so no emissions.  Your insurance provider would like to know about it I'm sure but that's your call.

For the motor, I'd suggest reading up on them.  A series 2 with series 3 top end us popular.  I have a series 2 and am modifying it(intercooler, ported/polished sc, cam, heads, mps and double timing chain are in the works),  the hard part is a good tune.

If the motor is used, do yourself a favor and  check/ change the main's. They're weak.   Everything comes down to budget, my philosophy is do it right once, even if I have to wait on the funding.

Your a dream.  When I wake up you'll die.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:28:13 pm »

Weak mains now that is a new one, the series II and III 3800 engines are very strong and when properly maintained last for many 100,000's of km even with reasonable amounts of abuse.
Have seen many with over 400,000 plus and still running strong. Dan
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:26:14 pm »

Well my car has eaten 2 motors, one right after the swap, one a week after I bought it from lacelle. The Gtp guys I know have had similar issues. So while I'm sure you know the motor Dan, I've seen 3 3800's spin bearings in a year and have heard of more. If you can point me to a root cause, I'd love to know how to avoid doing the same to my new motor. So far none of the other mechanics I know have been able go help.

Ps. Don't think I'm being scarstic, I'd really like to know.

Your a dream.  When I wake up you'll die.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:16:26 pm »

Lacelle's was a 97 block and he actually had two 97 engines go bad then.
With over 75 swaps done only two have ever failed and both were bottom ends but more likely it was the oil pump that failed causing the bottom end failures. Dan
indypacecar
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »

Ok i can chime in on this one, i have gone through quite a number of 3800 s, but the number 1 cause is over reving , (which is totally self inflicted) so keep the RPM s down around 5000 and you will never have a problem!!! 

Thats my 2 pennies    Sean
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:53:35 am »

5000 rpm.....that sucks.  Just put in a Northstar, rebuild the top end and rev to 8000rpm. Evil Evil Evil

Or alternately build a 2L Turbo and save some weight.

My $.02

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Dan
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 09:05:41 pm »

Built one a few years back with a ZZP NIC cam, stage 3 heads and a lot of supporting mods that would shift at 7000 rpm all day long with the V6 4 speed and it is still running to my knowledge.
First thing is to not use a GTP engine unless it is a series III go for the park ave or olds lss which were treated and maintained a lot better and mod as necessary to get the power you want.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Question for all 3800 SC owners.. « previous next »
Jump to: