Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:08:09 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: brake upgrade in progress « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: brake upgrade in progress  (Read 3556 times)
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« on: April 06, 2011, 09:42:06 am »

My brakes are finished, and I doubt were ever able to stop a 3800 powered fiero.  I would get one hard stop before the brakes faded out.

since there are way too many places to see this mod, i'll keep it simple and just list the prices and how well it works.

I ordered 4 Grand am calipers/ pad sets, 96 s10 booster, 93(2WD) master and braided lines.

everything except the braided lines came from summit for a total of 327$ including core and shipping(I have a friends US address) + 42$ duty paid
these same parts priced at local parts stores came in at 650$ and up.

The braided lines came from an ebay seller in ontario(coastguard1975) for 55$ + 12$ shipping

so the total for this mod was 436$ + machine shop cost TBD
I dont mind the loss of the parking brake(automatic car), if an inspection is necessary I can always throw the stock rear brakes back on.

work should be complete in the next week, waiting on the machine shop to cut down the front rotors now.

so far the hardest part of the conversion is the removal of the original brake lines at the rigid to flex point.  working on that today, heat and lube will work I hope.

Your a dream.  When I wake up you'll die.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 12:33:04 pm »

I hear ya on those brake connection points. Mine were so badly seized and rusted I just replaced the front hard lines.

Watch when ordering from the USA you might get charged brokerage fee's also and sometimes they can be worth more than the part you are buying.

...nsa...
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:57:35 pm »

yep, can machine is right...

best to avoid fedex and ups... they tease you with the "shipping" rates, but ding you hard @ the border.

USPS includes these fees, so the price you see is the price you pay.

I remember buying a 30 dollar jvc deck that ended up costing me 35 in fees when it got to me!
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »

all the parts are already in canada, ottawa atm.  we use a us address for shipping and then pick them up ourselves.  with 5 bikes and 6 of us working on cars we do a run every other week.  avoids brokers fees. large items I ship with a montreal based company as I have a family member working as a licenced broker.

total shipping from summit to the us addy was 12.50$

as for those connections, I got them all off with a minimum of damage.  I use a product called FREE.  its an industial product I carry with me when working.   gave them a shot last night and today they came free with no issues at all.

so far so good, as soon as my hubs are done I can start putting it all back together.

fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 07:34:21 pm »

ok, so the brakes are done.  I had a wicked nasty vibration when I pulled it out for a test run.  as in scared the heck out of me taking a light corner at 90.  I instantly assumed that I must have done something wrong or broke something...  the voice of reason, otherwise know as AL(best man/friend and mechanic) said to check the wheels/ balancing before going off the hinge. 

well he was right, the wheels were balanced poorly and one tire is warped.  rebalanced the tires and am waiting for new rubber(more to follow).  the vibration is almost gone and with the new rubber, she should be good as new.

As for the brakes, still have one more bleeding to do I think and maybe adjust pedal travel, but overall WOW what a difference.  for the first time needing to hit the brakes doesn't scare me.  for the $$ invested(needed to do the brakes anyway) well worth the time.

if anyone wants any info that isnt found in any of the write ups, let me know

as for the rubber..  the 225/60's and 205/60's I ordered are discontinued by the looks of it.  BF's G-force sports.  go figure.  the hunt for new rubber goes on.

87GT
Fiero Owner

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:08:59 pm »

Fiero Fighter - where can one get the product you referred to as "FREE" in your email on this subject?
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:02:01 am »

I get it from industrial suppliers(tenequip, master, woosley etc.), not familiar with the ottawa suppliers, but try an autoparts and ask the counter what they would suggest for release agents.  my mechanic buddy in ottawa has some pretty good stuff as well

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: brake upgrade in progress « previous next »
Jump to: