Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:41:05 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Headlight motor « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Headlight motor  (Read 1645 times)
grandam455
Fiero Owner

« on: May 20, 2010, 09:51:45 am »

I am just starting to work on my first  84 fiero and the motor on the right side headlight seems to keep running had to leave parking lights on until disconnecting battery. Is this common and is it repairable. I got the car 2 years ago was going to wreckers, Owner parked it in 1996 because of fuel leak and overheating problems, fixed fuel leak, line on top of tank. Ground strap to fan was rusty clean it up works fine. Now headlight motor, would like advice as i am new to these cars.Thanks Tom
FIERO-JOE
Fiero Know-it-all

30 years old!!

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:18:39 am »

well first does it run when light is up or down.. turn on the light. then open hood.. look for a single black wire with a connecter in the middle.. unplug that wire and it will stop the motor from working.. now that will leave the light in the up position, light on or off.. now i know that looks horrible..  so.. for permanent fix.. pull out the whole motor and light..
remove the motor part.. and you will have to drill out the rivits.. to open the housing..

the main problem is the big gear looses teeth and will start to grind.. but the good thing is, that large gear only turns 180* so to fix that.. you just rotate that large gear until the stripped part is not being used to move the light and it will solve the problem.. now you will have to go to Home depot.. and get small nuts and bolts. to close the houseing..
the only other is to buy(on ebay) a new replacement gear.. both will work great
have fun with that,,

Should there be this many extra screws?
grandam455
Fiero Owner

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:32:05 am »

Thanks fiero-joe for the quick and detailed answer, motor stays running in the down postion only
grandam455
Fiero Owner

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:44:04 am »

Here is a picture of the car.
FIERO-JOE
Fiero Know-it-all

30 years old!!

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:26:53 am »

sweet its like twins..LOL... i see you need as much paint work as i do.. lol..
let me know where your going to get it done and for how much..LOL..
later,
joe Grin

Should there be this many extra screws?
grandam455
Fiero Owner

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:17:59 am »

Owner left under maple tree for 12 years before getting rid of it i got it for 300 delivered very cool car will be keeping this one joe, Thanks Tom
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Headlight motor « previous next »
Jump to: