Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:13:00 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 3.8 Supercharged « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3.8 Supercharged  (Read 4647 times)
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 06:08:34 am »

That's pretty much what you are looking for.  May be a bit old and high mileage, but the engine, harness, and computer are usable.   car-part.com is a good source for bits.  Even if they don't list what you need, a yard with some parts for your car may actually have the car sitting around to pick over.

You may be able to bargain with someone who thinks their GTP is a Chevrolet.  Roll Eyes

For a manual you need a flywheel from a 96ish Firebird/Camaro with a 3800 5 speed. It needs to be modified for Fiero use.
Gary
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 07:43:17 am »

If 220,000km is high mileage, what the heck does that make mine at 331k?  Cheesy

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
2ML67
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 10:01:10 am »

Engines with under 200,000 km are getting hard to find and are fairly pricey. Motors in the 200,00 km to 270,000 km are pretty common and are fine tuse in a Fiero swap.
I have seen these engines with well over 400,000 km still running strong.
Wreckers down my way have three 3800SC engines in that range and go for $1,000 for every thing needed from the donor vehicle. Dan
1986fiero1986
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 09:25:52 pm »

i found a 1997 grand prix with the 3.8 supercharged, 220km,everything runs good, auto, i can get the whole car for $1000 and its in ottawa.

good or bad idea?  Undecided
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 08:31:38 am »

good or bad idea?  Undecided

It's likely fine in terms of mileage, wear and tear, etc., plus you'll be able to do your own pull which eliminates any worry over a wrecker cutting the harness or taking other shortcuts.

Whether it's a good or bad idea, depends upon whether you think that upgrading your Iron Duke is worth the investment.  We can't make that choice for you.  Smiley

FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 11:18:26 am »

Bear in mind that you can get a car cheap with a normally aspirated 3800.  That will get you about 200 horsies that will run happily on regular gas.  The s/c wants high test...................   Sad
1986fiero1986
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 05:44:19 pm »

since most of you have done the swap, is it worth the time and money?
Kitten
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

Unofficial Ottawa Fiero Club shutter bug

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 08:13:18 am »

since most of you have done the swap, is it worth the time and money?

Is doing the swap worth the time and money.... well the answer is yes and no... there are things to consider other than the fun go fast factor.

- Are you prepared not to have a running car for a while?  It wont be an overnight job to swap in the engine... There are guys on here who have been working on it for longer than I've known them.

- Once the swap is done, insurance companies will be a little harder to find that will cover you.... and when you do find one, the car will most likely get "toy" status which means you aren't really supposed to drive it very often... ie taking it to school/work everyday, or using it to get the groceries

- If you decide to not give all the modification details to the insurance company and you have an accident.... if they find out that it is no longer stock they can opt not to cover you for anything.

- Can you control your right foot enough to keep from getting the cops attention?  With the stock engine it's a little easier to behave, but once the swap is done.... well.... it's seductive.

- Do you want to be able to drive the car in the winter?  Once the swap is done that gets tricky.  Oodles of torque and not always enough traction

Ultimately though it's totally up to you if you want to do the swap....

-S

The excitement is in the curves.

Lead, Follow, Or get out of the way.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 08:25:23 am »

Most of you... ? careful, you'll make Buzz & I cry.   Cry  He & I are charter members of the slowest-L67-swap-in-the-Ottawa-Valley club.  Wink

"Worth it" is a subective question.  No one here is trying to be a pain in the ass, but everyone has their own opinions when it comes to the end product vs. what they had to spend (time, money, sweat, hassles, etc.) to get it.

I like the performance of the base L67, respect the potential it has for "hopping it up", and get serious giggles out of just about any vehicle that has 10lbs or fewer for every horsepower that moves it.  I also like to get my hands dirty.

...I also accept all of the points made by Kitten above.

It's worth it to me.  That's all I can say.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:27:12 am by dguy » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 3.8 Supercharged « previous next »
Jump to: