Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:29:35 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Ecotec swap « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ecotec swap  (Read 24331 times)
PhilTheThrill
Fiero Owner

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 07:10:34 pm »

So i finally got around to moving the engine an inch forward and working the the top engine mount.  I also got a new header.  I also bought Hp tuners and plan to start working on the wiring next week.

PhilTheThrill
Fiero Owner

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »

So still working on the final mounts.  I adapted a jeep motor mount as a front transmission mount and I welded in the top motor mount.  Progress is coming along good hopefully get the cradle painted this week and then start the wiring.

Top mount.

Front Transmission mount.
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 10:19:27 pm »

let me know how it goes with hp tuners...  eyeballing it myself, gonna have to start in on my computer soon.

Your a dream.  When I wake up you'll die.
PhilTheThrill
Fiero Owner

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 12:16:12 pm »

Hey fighter, what you plan to use HP tuners for?

I played around with the software a bit seems simple enough but I have not licensed my cars yet, I also plan to use it on our Colorado to  hopefully get a bit better mileage.
PhilTheThrill
Fiero Owner

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 10:10:19 pm »

Reconnected the wiring before putting it back into the car.

Engine is back in with all the mounts.

Cut out a hole for the exhaust since it was a tight fit.

Also made brackets and installed the coolant overflow tank.

Fred
Fiero Owner

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 11:14:16 pm »

Ok, stupid question:

What's so special about the ecotec? why not just go with a 3800 sc or a stock 2.8l?

Ihaven't read alot about that swap, that's why im curious about the advantages of taking this engine in a Fiero and why people would be interested in making that mod (If I recall correctly, it's only 2.2L. If you compare to a 3800 sc, its a great improvement in hp, torque and even fuel consumption, then again, I don't know anything about the ecotec. Is it powerful? Fuel economic?)

I'm just curious... Smiley

And it's starting to take shape, nice work! Wink

Fred

Pontiac Fiero GT 1987
PhilTheThrill
Fiero Owner

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 11:49:24 am »

Hey Fred.  I like it because its different probably why I like fiero's in the first place.  I am also a lot more comfortable working on 4 cylinders.  This engine can be found in many cars from cavaliers to a solstice.
Many different upgrades are available for the and  stock the 2.2 makes 140 hp while you can get the 2.0 turbo at 260hp.  Also the f23 getrag transmission with the 2.2 is perfect for the fiero axles as they fit right in.
Fred
Fiero Owner

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 12:24:14 pm »

I have a bad habbit of under-estimating 4 cylinders...  Undecided

But I should say i'm pretty impressed! Maybe an other engine i might look into for my car!  Evil

I'm curious on how this will end up now, keep up the great work!  Afro

Fred

Pontiac Fiero GT 1987
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 12:44:25 pm »

Food for thought.

The EcoTec motor with a good build is capable of:
over 250hp NA
up to 300hp with stock supercharger
up to 500hp with turbo on 94 octane pump gas
and as GM has built it: up to 1400hp on race fuel for their Cobalt drag car  Cheesy

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Fred
Fiero Owner

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »

Food for thought.

The EcoTec motor with a good build is capable of:
over 250hp NA
up to 300hp with stock supercharger
up to 500hp with turbo on 94 octane pump gas
and as GM has built it: up to 1400hp on race fuel for their Cobalt drag car  Cheesy

I want one...  Cheesy Actually... with the size they have... could I fit 2 of them?  Cheesy lol.. Tongue

If it could be that easy! Tongue

Fred

Pontiac Fiero GT 1987
PhilTheThrill
Fiero Owner

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 07:24:14 pm »

Got around to welding in a panel to hold the fuse box.  I was looking at the shifter linkage and I will have to modify the up down movement to be in the opposite direction or else the gears will be reversed. Still trying to figure out a way to reverse it.

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 03:48:27 pm »

I hope that fuse box is water tight.  You could put it in the trunk.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
PhilTheThrill
Fiero Owner

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 07:28:38 pm »

Hey Aaron,

The reason its there is i rather not lengthen the wires.  I dont plan on having the stock trunk. The rear clip it will probable flip out to rear and I will make sure there isnt a vent on that side. plus it san 84 with hte current trunk the side access panels are solid.  Also with hte exhaust the trunk is already shrinking.  I know itès not a car to carry things with but its still fun to be able to bring a few bags soemtimes.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:33:13 pm by PhilTheThrill » Logged
fiero_fighter
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »

tuners will get used on the 3800 in my fiero, should have the suspension and brakes done by the beginning of the season, after thats done I'll start in on the motor.

The goal will be 450hp, so hp tuners is a must if I dont want to spend all my time having someone else do the work. 

I've also seen reference to people  somehow changing the pcm's program on the "fly", having a DD program and a race program...  so I'm curious to see how long it takes to flash the computer.

Your a dream.  When I wake up you'll die.
PhilTheThrill
Fiero Owner

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »

Hey fighter if you want to see tuners you can come this summer and check it out.  The pro version is the one that can modify setting on the fly for 650$.  you can upgrade the standard version to a pro for 250$.  I got a good deal on the normal version and what I"m doing its just fine.  I think it more beneficial to get a wide band sensor when your have boost.

Anyways I have been working on the shift cable electrical and plumbing. I need to make brackets to bolt down the coolant tubes and shifter cables so they do not flop around. Just refilled it with oil tonight hopefully I will have everything ready to try and fire it soon.  I will make a video if i get it to start.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Ecotec swap « previous next »
Jump to: