Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:55:05 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Starter Problems? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starter Problems?  (Read 2468 times)
can machine
Moving UP!

« on: May 23, 2007, 10:22:45 pm »

I'm having a problem with the starter engaging. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesent. It spins it just dosen't turn the engine over. Is it time for a new one or can just the solinode be changed? And where is the starter located. I'm guessing on the firewall side of the engine, but is it on the driver side or passengers?
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 11:01:56 pm »

I remeber I had to replace mind.  4 Banger, it was more or less right in the middle of the car, and it was a bitch to change.

For mine, it was in the front of the motor by the firewall, and if I remember right, just above the Cat.

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 09:15:36 am »

For mine, it was in the front of the motor by the firewall, and if I remember right, just above the Cat.

It's in roughly the same place on the 2.8.  Can Machine if you still have the OEM cat on the car, have fun.  Most of the work is wiggling the starter in to a position which lets you pull it out of there.  Smiley

The solenoids are replaceable separately from the starter.  I'd take a good look at it though before ordering any parts.  If it appears that the linkage from the bendix to the solenoid is at all suspect, replace the whole assembly and save yourself some pain later.  The "fingers" which move the bendix tend to wear with age.

Something else to consider is that that the starter motor's brushes and bearings are tired as well.  A new or well-rebuilt starter (K.A.R. Auto Electric in Scotch Corners comes to mind) will likely last you the rest of the car's lifetime.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 07:55:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice as always guy's. I'll probably replace the whole thing.
fieroboy_gt
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 12:02:33 pm »

I use to change the starter in my 84 every other month. just pull the exhust springs off the hangers an that makes it easy to pull the exhust enough to get in an out with out any problems. if you just buy a starter from tire warehouse or VIP or a place like that there, only like 50 bucks an have a life time warenty. If I was you thats what I'd do. cause mine ate starters for breakfast lunch an super . I could change a 4 cyl starter in like 30 minutes. anywhere. I use to have to do it all the time. always left the specific tools an a change of clothes an was ready for the starter to go.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 06:45:58 pm »

Finally got around to changing my starter. I picked up a rebuild AC Delco one from Bensons. It wasen't that bad to change. Having a set of ramps and air tools sure made getting it out easier. Here's the catch. It still does the same thing. The starter spins but dosent engage. Maybe the new one is a dud also? I've got a call into a mechanic buddy of mine.
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 08:10:47 pm »

shims?
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:13:16 pm »

Ya I was going to have a closer look at the shims tomorrow. There was one in it and I just put it back where it was. Maybe I don't need any or maybe I need more.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 09:28:09 pm »

Well I fixed it. Not sure exactly what the problem was. I took the starter out and tested it on the ground and it worked fine. I put it back in without shims this time and it was grinding. So I put the shims in that came with the new starter. There were four and that was about the same thickness as the one that was in there in the first place. Bolted it up and it worked perfect. After looking at the old shim it looks like it has a little bend in it which probably spaced the starter out that much farther combined with  the old starter with a bit weaker solinoid probably caused it not to engage.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 02:41:23 pm »

My problems continue. I have not had a lot of time to work on the car as of late. Today I had a chance to look at it and I finally found the problem. The ring gear is spinning on the flywheel. It's two pieces and from what I have been told it's a heat shrink fit. I found a guy close to me who is fairly sure he could weld it in place on the car. I guess it's worth a shot.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 06:59:13 pm »

I got the fly wheel welded today, and it works perfectly. I took it to a local guy who builds race cars. He is a really skilled welder. The way he did it he added very little material to the flywheel, so I don't have a vibration problem. Now lets hope it holds together. His shop is just off the Carp Road and is called Crilly Chassis. I highly recommend him if you need any welding, he's a really honest straight up guy.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 08:44:19 am »

I'm guessing you had the welding done through the starter hole or by removing the bellhousing splash shield?

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 09:56:34 pm »

The splash shield is missing on my car so he was able to weld it quite easily. I got to get around to making something to cover that up. Anybody got a spare lying around for a four speed?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Starter Problems? « previous next »
Jump to: