Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:43:39 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Almost Completed my 87GT! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Almost Completed my 87GT!  (Read 2438 times)
dimeadozen
Fiero Know-it-all

Mia: March 17, 2010- The Safety

« on: April 05, 2010, 10:30:54 am »

I have been working on this baby since September 2007.

I hauled her up from Rhode Island after I won her on ebay and as soon as I got her here I went straight to work. She had 50,000 miles on her and had been parked for 10 years in some guy's driveway. He was going to turn her into a lambo, but his client changed his mind.

She ran great but she smoked from a valve cover leak and her rad and hoses were shot. Also her whole top, hood and bumpers where shot from sitting out in the sun for 10 years. Surprisingly the frame is immaculate and in the worst places its just a little oxidized. There is practically no rust on the sub frame.

2008 saw alot of the exterior body repairs. The whole body had to be sanded down to the fiber as the cracks went down to the mould. I got it all finished and primed, so the body was back to near new finish. I also had to get 4 new tires seeing as the originals were still on her. I also took off her spoiler as it was a bit warped and I would rather not have one.

I replaced her broken cooling parts the first year and tried fixing the hood, but its kinda too far gone, so I eventually got a new hood and roof in 2009.

Her Tranny cooling lines were rotted so I replaced those and I noticed that the shift linkage is off by one notch. Thats a small issue tho and I'll get it looked at after the bigger stuff is checked.

In 2009, I redid the roof and had her looked at to see what she would need to mass mechanical. My mechanic gave me the rather long list and for the rest of the year I dedicated my time to replacing her tie rods, front and rear discs, pads, rotors, calipers, and brake hoses. I used steel braided lines as I want them to last a long time. I also had to redo the rear lower ball joints, control arm bushings and the same on the front.

So now all thats done, and I took her into my mechanic again, and now he is safetying her so I can get her plated.

Once plated I can get a trip permit, take her to get painted and then I have to get her appraised so I can insure her.

To appraise her though, I want to fix the seats which are ripped, I need a new ceiling, and quarter panels ( I got some black out ones but dunno if I want to use them) I just got some new bumpers from a guy in Quebec so I will just put those on first since they are not cracked like mine.

I'm getting some working headlight motors and after that, My car should look just about brand new. Yes it has been a long haul, but I like doing the work, and I find it fun and interesting. I'll be really happy when its done and this summer I hope to be cruising around in my awesome car which I can guarantee will grab some eye looks cus of the colour I'm thinking of.

So just wish me luck and I hope I'll be able to show up to a car show soon with her all done up. Afro

If I just spend a little more money...
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:21:33 pm »

Mike, sorry I got really tied up this weekend. 

If you want nice serviceable sail windows, try these.  You'll need to move quickly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-86-87-88-Fiero-GT-Rear-Sail-Quarter-Panel-Windows_W0QQitemZ160420311996QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2559cbb3bc

They are not exactly stock as they do not have the dot  matrix trim and GT.  The seller is very reputable and does very good work. You can't beat the price.

Gary
dimeadozen
Fiero Know-it-all

Mia: March 17, 2010- The Safety

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:37:35 am »

Ya, I was looking at those the other day. The thing is I bought a set last year I thought I was buying smoked ones, but it turns out I got Black outs. I might use them I first have to get the car back finished before I decide. If the Black outs are too much of a blind spot, I'll pick up a set of clears. Ya 90 bucks is a good deal, but they are usually like 100 ne ways so I'll wait just to make sure.

Don't feel bad about the wait, I was busy this weekend too, i'll pm u all about it.

If I just spend a little more money...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Almost Completed my 87GT! « previous next »
Jump to: