Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:40:51 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Next toy « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next toy  (Read 1167 times)
2ML67
« on: December 12, 2006, 01:51:41 pm »

Have been doing some research into the new 5300 used in the Impalla Monte SS and Grand Prix and come to the conclusion that it is what I want to do for my next toy.
This should make for a nice install into a Fiero especially if I mate it up to one of those new 6 speed manual trannies. From what I have found this engine is specially made for FWD applications with the over all length shortened by one inch for clearance.
It already has the right bell housing coming bolted to the 4T65E tranny. It also turns out the Vortek truck version has the same balance on the flywheel as the FWD one does and although the Vortek 5300 does not come with a manual tranny the older 4800 version which also shares the same flywheel does come with a manual tranny.
I am thinking it would be best to use a computer from a manual tranny Corvette with the LS6 engine as the 5300 is an LS engine it should be able to run the 5300 with a manual tranny.
Bone stock this engine is 303 HP @ 5600 RPM and 323 ftlbs @ 4400 RPM due to it being an LS V87 there is also lots of after market support available for future mods like say a nice little turbo to give it a little boost.
Does any one see any errors in my thinking or any rason not too do this swap that is besides suggesting to stay with the auto tranny which I am already considering but would prefer it with a manual. Dan
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 09:08:54 pm »

Unlocked! Smiley  I don't know who did it though.

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 10:34:17 pm »

Continued from PM because topic was locked...

Alternately too Dan you could just put larger diameter wheels on.  That would have the same effect as tall gears, but you'd go though a few more trannys.  Although I'm still on my first (don't drag race though).

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 06:59:01 am »

That would be an increadable swap. As long as you can get the computer part all ironed out. I say do it! Stick with the standard trans.
cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:06:48 pm »

Axles... axles.... axles!!! only for you though!! Grin Grin
nice project!
good luck,
Sandy
x-thumpr-x
Fiero Owner

Minority in my home town. Thanxs MEL!!!

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 11:07:25 pm »

Axles... axles.... axles!!! only for you though!! Grin Grin

Grin Grin Grin

good luck with this project. 

87 FieroGT 3400
87 Coupe T-top
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Next toy « previous next »
Jump to: