Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:07:31 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Is it just me orr... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it just me orr...  (Read 3458 times)
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« on: June 04, 2006, 09:11:26 pm »

Are the prices to buy a fiero going up?  If you look on trader.ca right now, there are 11 fieros for sale all of which are very expensive!  I need to find myself another Fiero for $200 like the Red one I had.. lol.  Anyone seen a decent one for a really cheap price.  Something that runs (Sorta even.lol)  Or even a Car with a Motor swap done to it, like a 3800SC or something, (But those don't have to be cheap Tongue lol)

Question for Dan, when you do the motor swaps for people these days, whats the ruff cost for some person to get you to do the swap for them?  Just curious. 

thanks!

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 07:59:15 am »

Yep, the asking prices have been creeping up.  The last time I checked the Auto Trader there was an un-altered 88 fastback in Gatineau listed at $8.5k.  I would have at least expected a CJB car with that price tag, but it isn't.  It doesn't appear to be uncommon to see at least one $6k or higher ad lately.

What I'd like to know, is whether or not people are moving cars with the higher price tags.  It's easy for an owner to say to themselves "hey, it's 20 years old, it's a classic now!" and up the price, but they're only as valuable as the buyers are willing to spend...

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:29:35 am »

Like this one

click me

I think that is crazy!

"NEAR NEW CONDITION
Comment: Growing investment includes fun and great fuel economy 30+ mpg. 56,000 original km. Lady owned for last 18 yrs., 4 cyl., 4 spd., near new condition. $12,000 obo. (519)919-4555, Windsor. (CVDQKF)
"
Sure the mileage is low, but not low enough to be asking an Arm and a Leg for a 22 year old car!

Oh well, I am sure I will eventually find one. lol.

edited by dguy because the amount of horizontal scroll that URL created at 1280x1024 was driving me crazy   Tongue
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 01:29:28 pm by dguy » Logged

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
2ML67
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:29:43 am »

I was looking at the trader yesterday and had to laugh at the prices being asked although I cant see them selling for those insane prices. For engine swaps my price is always the same $2,000 for all the labour involved, I do not pay for parts the cost for them is extra. Dan
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 08:04:48 pm »

Hmm.. Eyes on an 88 right now, its one the someone posted in the forsale area... 4Cycl, 100,000K, "1988 Pontiac Fiero Coupe (Notchback) 2.5L L4 "

The price wise, I still think is steep for what I want to do, so I am trying to figure out my entire costs here... geeze.. lol

Scenario #1
$3000 - Car
$2000 - Install of Motor
$?Huh  - Cost of Motor/Parts

Scenario #2
Wait for Cheaper Car,
install motor by self (After lots and lots of Research lol.)

Scenario #3
Other.

lol, Where does one find a 3800SC first of all! Besides EBay, I don't feel like having anything shipped long distance.  Also what are the average costs of a 3800SC.  Where did you (MacPhail (Derek)) get your motor from? 

And back to reading I go...

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
2ML67
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:33:29 pm »

Depending on mileage and which wreckers has it any where from $1,200 to $3,500 for a complete set up engine, tranny, PCM, harness and ignition module. I know of one for $1,200 out of a 97 Bonneville SSEi but it has like 240,000km on it. Dereck's came out of a 1997 GTP with just under 200,000 km on it. Dan
MacPhail
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 08:37:46 pm »

Hi Chris:

Dan found my motor for me.  Luck would have it that there was a '97 Grand Prix GTP with a badly damaged rear (so the motor and tranny were A1) at a wrecker near his place.  A friend tried the engine and it ran great so Dan got a price and I bought it.  It was $1,500 I believe.

If you search http://car-part.com/ you'll find places around the area with engines.  If you don't mind travelling to New York state, you may get a better deal on a lower mileage motor (I don't know what the mileage is on mine, but low mileage doesn't neccessarily mean a better engine).

As for your other costs, it depends on what else you want/need done.   For example, I added a transmission rad ($45 used), new Flowmaster muffler ($130), K&N cold air intake filter ($55), new stainless dual tips ($70 each), and poly engine mounts ($185).

If you plan ahead and shop around, you'll save yourself some cash.

Dan has been really good to me and has been correcting things that the mechanic who "safetied" the car should have caught and corrected.  

Hope this helps.  

Cheers, Derek
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 10:01:32 pm »

Thanks for the website there, that deffiantly helps finding a motor a lot more easier, then I guess it comes down to making sure it runs nice.  lol. 

If I head out to check a motor out like this, what is some things I should mainly look for besides the obvious physical damage/oil leaks/other?

Now, if I plan on doing this myself, where is a good location to find something like a step by step. lol.   I have replaced a Iron Duke before, but that was a lot more easier then this, you don't have to redo the wiring, the coolant lines, the etc...

Any Info there would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, anyone know of a place in the Ottawa area to get things Anodized? or Powder Coated?

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
MacPhail
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 10:08:05 pm »

All I can say is, don't ask Gary (aka "not buzz till its done") since his Fiero is in boxes and laying around the yard, he isn't exactly an authority on putting things back together.   Evil

Sorry Gary...couldn't resist.   Cheesy

When it comes to wiring, I'd buy that from Dan as you know it will be done right the first time.  I'm not sure what he charges, but you can do a search (forget the site) and find folks who offer to sell it to you (can't remember price, but I believe Dan offers a better deal for quality work).

I think others on this site will be able to offer you more advice/assistance on this matter than I can.

Cheers, Derek
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 11:44:46 pm »

If you find a motor and it's not in the car it came from.  Call GM with the VIN Derivative number on the engine block to make sure the motor is as advertised.

You may have to tell the GM tech what the number represents!

VIN Derivative:
Position one = VIN position three
Position two to nine = VIN position ten to senenteen

At least that’s the way it was with the Cady.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 08:24:51 am »

If I head out to check a motor out like this, what is some things I should mainly look for besides the obvious physical damage/oil leaks/other?

Weird noises, smoke of any kind from the exhaust...  if you're paranoid, ask for a compression test.  All the same stuff you'd look for under the hood if you were purchasing a driveable car.

Me, I was happy merely hearing/seeing mine run for a few minutes.  Then again I was looking for a rebuild candidate, not a drop-in-and-go engine.

Now, if I plan on doing this myself, where is a good location to find something like a step by step. lol.   

I have never, ever, seen a single, 100% comprehensive play-by-play for a 3800 swap online.  It's pretty much a given that there is no single "right" way to do it, so do lots of research, make lots of notes, ask lots of questions and decide how you want to do it.

Our very own 2ML67 is a pretty fine place to start.  Smiley

Also, anyone know of a place in the Ottawa area to get things Anodized? or Powder Coated?

The grapevine says to try these guys, RLD Industries.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
MacPhail
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 09:46:10 am »

From the Toronto Star website:

http://thestar.livedeal.ca/search?zip=M5S+3E1&query=Fiero&submit=Search&category=-1&minprice=min&maxprice=max

1.  87 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, mint condition, auto, 159K, $5,000. Humberview Motors 1-888-317-5577 

2.  87 GT (can contact the seller via the website)

3.  1985 FIERO GT KIT CAR Needs work, as is, runs, $800. obo. 905-518-7484 after 6

Cheers, Derek
MacPhail
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 11:39:10 am »

My boss told me he saw a Fiero for sale near his place.  I'll stop by and get the info if you would like.

Cheers, Derek
2ML67
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 11:56:41 am »

Could always save some time and buy one already upgraded with a newer engine. Dan
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 11:08:23 pm »

I don't think I want to go that route dan Tongue  takes all the fun outta doing a car like this.  but yes it would save time, but I am not really needing to save time.. just park it and work on it when I have/make time.  its a fun project Smiley

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Is it just me orr... « previous next »
Jump to: