Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:56:20 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: The slowest L67 build in history « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The slowest L67 build in history  (Read 13537 times)
lacelles
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 12:53:54 pm »

Sorry Don but I did try to warn you that driving a 3800SC powered Fiero quickly becomes an adiction.

Yes... I agree with you DAN  Afro
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 12:55:31 pm by lacelles » Logged

-- 1999 Buick Regal GS 3800SC - SOLD - Sad
-- 1987 Fiero GT 3800SC - SOLD - Sad
http://www.lacelle.ca
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 07:13:02 pm »

Pfffft.... dusty thread.   Wink

While not directly part of the swap, I've always told myself that if the car is going to go faster than it should be able to stop faster as well.  Well that, and if I'm ever going to play on a track I'd rather not have fade-happy brakes to contend with.

Enter the Zettner/11¼" brake mod.   Afro  Fronts only for the moment.  Rears will be assembled on the swap cradle & installed with the new drivetrain, hopefully this winter.

dead imageshack links removed, see attachments

With the stock brakes still on the rear the car is somewhat over-braked in the front, but it's not really noticeable (to me at least) unless you mash the pedal.  Somewhen before next season I'll be disabling the OEM proportioning valve & installing an adjustable prop. valve in the rear circuit so that I can tune the balance to my liking.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:24:14 pm by dguy » Logged

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2007, 07:28:00 am »

In August I finished the assembly of the rear brakes on the cradle.

Rather than use the original rear adapters and the "hockey stick" brackets for the e-brake cables, I opted to purchase a set of redesigned adapters.  The original Zettner design would under some circumstances partially apply the e-brake--the cable routing was snug at rest, and suspension movement could pull it tighter at times.

One could simply swap side & flip the calipers to bring the cable routing back to stock, however some who tried this weren't happy with how close the e-brake cable came to the outer CV boot.  This generation of the adapters provides more clearance between the CV boot & the cable, however it does require a slight Buzz-style modification to the inboard pad in order for it to clear the rotor.

Original vs. redesigned adapter.  Can't see it in this photo, but the caliper mounting holes have been rotated 5° lower in the new piece.
dead imageshack link removed, see attachments

Original inboard pad on top, modified pad below.  Not necessary to remove the wear indicator if you mount the pads with the indicator on top.
dead imageshack link removed, see attachments

There's a 15-page thread on PFF discussing various aspects of this brake modification.  I strongly suggest reading it from start to finish if this is something you're considering doing.

When it comes to obtaining the modified brackets, some of the participants in the thread noted above have CAD files if you want to roll your own.  Otherwise I would suggest looking in The Mall on PFF for a thread by rjblaze, who is currently managing group purchases of the adapters.

Two final shots of everything assembled & the "new" e-brake cable routing.  I wasn't able to support the knuckle in its natural position while taking the photo (it's tilted somewhat toward the front), however the e-brake cable routing appears to clear the CV boot nicely with the control arm raised to ride height & the knuckle held near-vertical.

dead imageshack links removed, see attachments
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:27:25 pm by dguy » Logged

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2007, 07:45:00 am »

The adapter which renders the proportioning ability of the OEM combination valve adjustable went in to the car in September.  (Thanks Aaron!)

With my current set-up it's a definite change for the better; can't wait to see what can be done with matching front & rear brakes on the car.

Currently I have the 11.25's on the front, stock brakes on the rear, and rear tires which are 30mm wider than the fronts.  In this particular configuration the rear wheels won't quite lock up on dry pavement with their line pressure maxed out.

Not that may people consider a rear lock-up to be a good thing Wink , but the idea is to find the lock-up point then dial the rears back a bit.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 02:18:59 pm »

Fixed a bunch of dead image hosting links in old posts, and...

To make a long story short, last fall we were poised to purge ourselves of all things Fiero.  We hadn't done a thing with any of our collection in seven or eight years other than slowly get rid of the parts cars.

...then we talked ourselves out of it.  The 84 and 85 which started this whole adventure get to stay.  Which means my L67 build is back on.   Cool

A bit of shopping at ZZP over the winter, and a fifth-generation M90 picked-up locally.

can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 04:31:47 pm »

Nice to see you are not leaving us! I might be stealing your title of slowest L67 build in history though.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2017, 07:32:21 pm »

Yay!  This is good for us (forum members).  Maybe I'll post a progress photo too?

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: The slowest L67 build in history « previous next »
Jump to: