Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:37:01 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Product/Service Reviews  |  Topic: Parking Brake Cables « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Parking Brake Cables  (Read 2557 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: June 08, 2005, 09:54:20 am »

Are all cables equal?  Nope.

Until now, any replacement parking brake cable I've purchased has been a simple, aircraft-type cable in a metal sheath deal, with an outer plastic coating on the sheath.  Even if you use them religiously, eventually both the metal cable & the surrounding sheath starts to corrode & stops moving smoothly.

It should be obvious in the photos below which is the new cable, and which is the crusty old one.  What may not be obvious, is that the moving part of the new cable is sealed & coated.

The cable itself has a plastic coating running its entire length, effectively sealing the twisted cable from the elements.  At each end of the sheath, there are apparently two seals to help reduce the number of contaminants that get in between the cable & the sheath.  Finally (no I'm not going to cut it open to verify!) the sheath itself is apparently plastic-lined as well.

This should make for a smooth-moving, long-lasting e-brake cable.  Only time will tell however.   Smiley

Canadian Tire's Certified line of brake products market the metal-on-metal cable I described above, at a reasonable price IIRC.

For slightly more, you should be able to purchase the coated cables through your favorite NAPA dealer under the United Brake Parts name.  For the 84-87 models, p/n 93902 is the left-hand cable, p/n 93903 is the right-hand cable.

You get what you pay for...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 10:34:46 am by dguy » Logged

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 10:04:35 am »

this is very timely as I just removed both from my cradle;
Did you or anyone look into stainless steel? I am sure I have heard of them being avail but that might only be in the states...... altho that stuff should also be avail up here, shouldn't it?
NAPA etc is pretty wide spread.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 10:56:38 am »

I got a brand new set of the 3 OEM cables from Dave Andregg (fierodave.com).

The 3 piece OEM  cables 1984-87 are $62.00 US plus shipping.  I have bought a couple of things from him and had no problems whatsoever.

I see that the equalizer connectore is not part of the kit. If anyone has a parter around I would appreciate them grabbing this bit for me.  Afro

Gary
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 06:01:25 pm »

Small update...  part number for the coated 84-87 front cable is 93267 (same manufacturer as mentioned in the first post)

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Product/Service Reviews  |  Topic: Parking Brake Cables « previous next »
Jump to: