Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:47:51 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Pictures  |  Topic: My 86 GT « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My 86 GT  (Read 12607 times)
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 10:08:24 am »

Sweet!  88 are worth it for the suspension alone.  88 plus Northstar equal very happy owner.

The trans is actually a lot stronger than I thought it was going to be.  I’m kind of surprised that I haven’t broken mine yet with the way I’ve been treating it.  With the way it pulls the car it just seems like something should break, but it doesn't.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2005, 01:26:00 pm »

I am getting the ich back Aaron really bad!!!!!!  Wink
raunchy
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2005, 02:57:45 pm »

.... Afro Afro Afro
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »

Scratch it!

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2005, 12:16:06 am »

Well I have got alot done on my 86 GT, I sanded down the driverside, and refilled it with a plastic base body filler. Tomorrow I will sand it down and see how well it looks from there. I also removed the mirror and redid the mount of the mirror. I used a 16 gauge sheet metal and it bounced at higher speeds and I didn't like that. Also the mirror was tilted up a bit much so I am making a mount that will go between the door mount and the mirror so it is level.
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2005, 12:17:45 am »

Here are some shots of the body work before its sanded
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2005, 11:40:36 am »

I just wanted to pass along something. The body filler I used is from Sems, its a no swell plastic body filler and it is very easy to work with, however when mixing I found it easier when I added a little more hardener then normal. It has been holding up nice and agin was easy to work with and sand.
I will post some pictures of it sanded soon.
raunchy
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2005, 09:30:23 pm »

great pics!!good luck with the countor lines.I'm very interested in the shaved moulding technique...especially on a fiero.Lookin good man! Afro
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2005, 08:54:16 am »

Question for ya regarding the smoothed/shaved moldings--

What did you do (if anything) about the door skin, quarter panel, and front fascia fasteners which are normally concealed by the moldings?

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2005, 07:42:48 pm »

Question for ya regarding the smoothed/shaved moldings--

What did you do (if anything) about the door skin, quarter panel, and front fascia fasteners which are normally concealed by the moldings?

Not really sure what your asking? I removed the trim, put down a fiberglass base body filler and then used a no swell plastic body filler by Sems. I put the fiberglass body filler down first to get the panels a little more support so it doesn't crack. I also drilled holes about every inch so the filler has something to hold on to better plus I did a good amount of sanding.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2005, 10:30:57 am »

Not really sure what your asking? I removed the trim, put down a fiberglass base body filler and then used a no swell plastic body filler by Sems. I put the fiberglass body filler down first to get the panels a little more support so it doesn't crack. I also drilled holes about every inch so the filler has something to hold on to better plus I did a good amount of sanding.

After you removed the trim, you should have seen a few formerly-hidden fasteners.  I can't remember how many & where off the top of my head, but as an example the door skin has one or more fasteners which tack the center of the skin to the impact bar.  There are more at the (hidden) joint between the rear clip & the quarter panels.

Did you simply cover them over and hope that you'll never have to get at them again, or find some other way to deal with those fasteners that won't require destroying all of your work if you ever need to take a panel off?

I'm not trying to criticize BTW...  just curious.  Smiley

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2005, 12:46:03 am »

After you removed the trim, you should have seen a few formerly-hidden fasteners.  I can't remember how many & where off the top of my head, but as an example the door skin has one or more fasteners which tack the center of the skin to the impact bar.  There are more at the (hidden) joint between the rear clip & the quarter panels.

Did you simply cover them over and hope that you'll never have to get at them again, or find some other way to deal with those fasteners that won't require destroying all of your work if you ever need to take a panel off?

I'm not trying to criticize BTW...  just curious.  Smiley

I looked and looked to find a way to have the outer panel be able to be removed after the panel was filled but I found it was going to be alot more work then what it was worth! Outer door panels are still a dime a dozen and mine were ruff to start with. I guess it can be done, I did find a set of taps "kindof" thing that had a head on it and the other half was threaded. Removing the stock screws and replacing them with this type of set up may have worked but then again that was alot of work for no real reason. The clips on the bottom will hold it on and then the screws in the center could always be cut it the panel needed to be removed.

That answer your question?
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2005, 12:22:33 pm »

We had some ok weather this weekend so I was able to sand down the pass side and I was going to fill and sand it on Sunday but it got really windy out and I have no room inside right now. So again I am on hold!

I am having the motor leave here soon to be rebuilt, a local guy is going to go through the motor for $500 and rebuild each head for $100. But that is still going in my newer buy, my 88 GT.

By the way, I got the e-mail and I was glad to hear from you about the Spec flywheel McCreery
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2005, 09:26:26 pm »

Well I sold the 86 GT over the weekend for $350.00 USD. Didn't and then again did want to see it go, my first Fiero but then again I can now get the working only on the 88 GT. It is now going to get the 93 STS Northstar motor, infact I got most of the mounts cut out over the weekend for that swap. So I guess this thread is done. Thanks anyway guys!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Pictures  |  Topic: My 86 GT « previous next »
Jump to: