Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:22:36 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 6 speed 450+ hp transmission « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6 speed 450+ hp transmission  (Read 4035 times)
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 05:35:44 pm »

I'm not sure, but "slammed Fiero" has looked into it.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Joe Fieroshop
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 01:53:12 pm »

I don't know if this will help, but how about the Pontiac Vibe? didn't it come with a 6 speed gear box??

Joe
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 04:49:21 pm »

I’m kind of done thinking about the 6 speed gear box because no one makes it with two overdrive gears.  So in the end it would be a useless gearbox for a powerful motor.  It’s probably good for those 150 hp motors though.

As far as the vibe goes, I don’t think the 6 speed was rated at much in the way of torque.  I remember guys on PFF talking about it and don’t remember it as being a good idea.

Now I’m just looking for a good five speed.  It seems like the getrag 282 is holding up okay.  All accounts of failure on that transmission seem to be saying that it’s the differential that goes first, so as long as I cut down on the spinning of tires the transmission should last fairly well.  Although it seems like I might need a transmission oil cooler.  The transmission gets a little hard to handle after track driving for a while.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Joe Fieroshop
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 05:08:07 pm »

I can tell you that the 282 is a good tranny. We at Race-Tech have a 93 Cavalier Z24 with a 3800 N/A Turbo. This passed season we ran the bone stock engine at 12 psi and made 430 hp to the wheels still using the untuched 282 that came with the car. The car was running 11.33 @ 127 mph.

In October we changed injectors uped the boost to 16 psi, added a LSD and a custom Racetech stage 5 clutch and made an extra 90 hp to the wheels. Since it was close to the end of the racing season we were unable to run it down the track to see how much better is would have been.

This cumming season we are still going to use the same tranny with no new changes to it, but we are going to do some mods to the engine to handel 18+ boost. Right now I'm working on giving the car a diet, its 500 lbs over weight comparied to the other cars running in the pro class.

Joe
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 06:08:58 pm »

That does make me feel better but there still is a lot less stress on that transmission just because it's on a front wheel drive car and not a rear wheel drive.  With the right tires I can lift the front end of the fiero, but I'm not about to do that because that will definitely do some damage.

Aaron

P.S. you have to do something about that sig.  It's way too big.

Joe Fieroshop
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 09:59:12 am »

I forgot to mention that we have 28" x 9" slicks and still running stock drive shafts, well ok in a season we may go through two or three shafts.

Each time we are at the track we get 5 to 6 runs in may be more depending on how well we are doing, usually shafts will last 4 events so that means we get at least 20 good HARD runs in with launching the car at 6000+ RPM with a bad 60ft of 1.8

Joe
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 11:34:45 am »

That sounds good!

This is getting a bit off topic but do you have any experiance cooling the oil in the transmission?

Aaron

Joe Fieroshop
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2005, 12:29:02 pm »

Sorry Aaron, not with any manual tranny.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 6 speed 450+ hp transmission « previous next »
Jump to: