Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:05:18 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: site problems « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: site problems  (Read 2288 times)
2ML67
« on: July 12, 2004, 06:50:46 pm »

Having problems on this site only , no others only this one. When I log on I get kicked right off internet and have to get back on then return to site. It as soon as I press log on after putting in my password. Happens almost every time, some times I can not even get on. Can look at with no trouble as long as I do not log onto forum. Any ideas, is my computer bad or is there some kind of conspiracy to get rid of me. If thats the case say so and I will leave not worth the effort. Dan
fiero308
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 07:03:18 pm »

yeah I do too so we can both take it personally...... Grin
lots of times when I get an automatic email notification I will click on the link provided and it brings me to a screen that says I am not authorized to view that information - so that is when I log on, but I don't have any prob other than that.
Any chance you have changed cookies settings or something?  I DID have a prob with that myself a while back.......
In general, I have a lot of praise for the guys who are keeping this going; I am sure they aren't making much more than most volunteers.... Roll Eyes
But that would be a frustrating prob - when you can't get on just to tell them what is happening!
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 08:46:30 pm »

I'm about 50-50.  I can usually log on, but if I try to post something I'll get either a fatal error message or my connection gets severed.   Roll Eyes
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:19:43 pm »

Probably a cookie issue, Mmmm yummy!   Roll Eyes  When you login to the forum, theres a little check box that says Always stay logged in.  That will set a cookie on your side, shouldn't have to log in, let along enter your password again unless you clear your cookies.  Give that a go and lmk what happens.

2ML67
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 10:07:10 am »

I find it works better if I do not click the always stay on box. Sometimes I am logged on doing a reply then when I click send message it cuts out. I get kicked right off the internet all together not just this site. Only does it on this site though, could it be AOL and this site do not like each other. Dan
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 11:09:51 am »

Since we are on the topic, I think a picture attachment size limitation would greatly help our friends on dial-up.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
fiero308
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 11:15:22 am »

yup; good idea.  I agree; a lot of sites put a (about) 50K limit on pic sizes and that is a good idea.
If nothing else it might remind someone that the pic is too big and they just forgot or assumed it was ok etc.
Would that be hard to implement?

hope not.
lercs
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 11:17:36 am »

i think its aol, cause they suck Tongue

but ive never been kicked off or had any problems logging in, either from my work or from my house, or from my res room last year

so that takes care of a firewalled T1 connection, and DSL and business DSL(that somehow didnt let me log into hotmail)

i also stay logged in at home, but nowhere esle

just thought id let people know how it works on my end
2ML67
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 01:43:53 pm »

I too have suspected for a while that it is AOL but why just this site. If changing picture postings why not allow more time to do so, I am on such slow dial up I can't post pictures due to time it takes. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 03:03:30 pm »

I too have suspected for a while that it is AOL but why just this site. If changing picture postings why not allow more time to do so

My personal preference would be for both a limit to photo sizes and increasing the posting timeout to something greater than 30 seconds.

I asked Nick & Chris about this once before; while I don't completely understand Nick's reply, I get the feeling it's no small matter to alter that timeout.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 05:06:20 pm »

Thats the actual Gallery you guys are talking about, still looking for something better.  I may just take it offline till I find something that actually works as it should.  Anyone have any leads to something better?

Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 07:39:47 pm »

Heh, have 10 megs as max attachment limit, won't need that since we've got the ftp for anything that big.  I'll probably limit individual attachments via the forums attach option to 125kb per file.  Even for dialup thats quite reasonable per pic....

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 09:01:27 am »

Thats the actual Gallery you guys are talking about, still looking for something better. 

Well I don't know what they are talking about, but I wasn't talking about the gallery to be honest.  Smiley  I've browsed the gallery, but never attempted to post anything there.  I wouldn't know where to start.   Grin

The 30-second posting timeout to which I was referring to occurs when I try to post any combination of message and/or attachment to the forum from my lovely dial-up connection at home.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 09:08:20 am »

hi Nick
just as a pure question, does it make a difference (is there an advantage) if the photo size is limited to about the 50K range?
I THINK that PFF uses about a "50K- ish" limit.....?  but have to check to be sure.  I suspect a lot of viewers still have dial up and might for some time yet; it isn't even avail in every part of the city so anyone in rural areas (funny, ME telling YOU how the rural areas are....Huh?   Roll Eyes  Wink ) may have it for years to come........?
just a thought/question.
gp
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: site problems « previous next »
Jump to: