Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:35:40 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Product/Service Reviews  |  Topic: Suspension « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 2784 times)
Sentinel
Returns to active lurker status
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

Wrapped in Horsepower, Driving into Fury......

« on: May 16, 2004, 12:47:54 am »

Suspension Part Reviews

We drive so fast , it seems as though , we take into the sky, the Fiero Machines in Harmony , Hear the Engines Cry
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 08:30:47 am »

Purchased from: Bruno's Performance, Merivale Rd. @ Jamie
Manufacturer's part #: 8741-1063

Pros:  Direct replacement for OEM struts.  Easily adjustable damping from comfortably firm to "are those struts or iron bars?".

Cons:  My only regret is not having matching front shocks...  yet.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 10:11:27 am by Don Guy » Logged

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 09:04:02 am »

cool.
so now are you going to get them turned into coil-overs with adjustable spring settings?  In fact, not being ridiculous actually, you might think about that.  Adjusting only one 'side' of the spring/shock equation is imbalanced as I am sure you know.

You are prob on the best side of the initial imbalance - if I can call it that - with having stiff shocks before having stiff springs.  Stiff springs withOUT strong shock (rebound control) would be a bad setup.  As in older cars with worn out, leaked-dry shock absorbers.  You know, the old sea-going yachts that bounce up and down the country roads.
Anyway, I am sure I can't tell you anything new on this, but it might be interesting to try the coil-over spring install.  I have a set of Monro gas-matics off my car that I might convert - even for a test.  Maybe we should make it a club demo session?  Get Gary with his angle grinder to gleefully remove the stock spring perch, then install/mod a new one and install the coil over setup.

Got any pix of the new parts?  Where is the adjustment, what colour are they  Roll Eyes and important stuff like that?
gp

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 10:11:01 am »

so now are you going to get them turned into coil-overs with adjustable spring settings?  In fact, not being ridiculous actually, you might think about that.  Adjusting only one 'side' of the spring/shock equation is imbalanced as I am sure you know.

Eventually, yes.  Though up until this moment that thought was mostly driven by the necessity to modify the lower spring pearch for clearance with certain wheel/tire width combinations.  Not a problem with those skinny little 215's currently, but perhaps some day... 

You are prob on the best side of the initial imbalance - if I can call it that - with having stiff shocks before having stiff springs.  Stiff springs withOUT strong shock (rebound control) would be a bad setup.  As in older cars with worn out, leaked-dry shock absorbers.  You know, the old sea-going yachts that bounce up and down the country roads.

Drove my old shove-it about ten blocks once with no rear shocks.  As a kid, I never had a pogo stick.  After that short little journey, any child-like urge to try a pogo stick had strangely vapourized.

Got any pix of the new parts? 

...but of course.  They're at home, somewhere, and I'm not.  I'll try to remember to update this soonish. 

BTW the strust aren't new.  I've had them in for a little over a year now.  I just wanted to have "first review" bragging rights in the Suspension section.   Wink Grin

Where is the adjustment

On top of the strut shaft, where it protrudes through the upper mounting plate.  The struts may be adjusted in- or out-of-vehicle, loaded or unloaded.

In lieu of a "real life" photo, may I present an unabashed image link direct to Koni's web site:

what colour are they  Roll Eyes

Red.  Goes nicely with those red poly bushings.  Grin

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Product/Service Reviews  |  Topic: Suspension « previous next »
Jump to: