Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:59:08 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Tread depth « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tread depth  (Read 1793 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: December 09, 2003, 10:52:07 am »

Does anyone happen to know the minimum tread depth required to pass a safety check?

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 11:46:02 am »

Most places don't measure they just look.  So if you have at least some tread left before the wear marks on the tire it should be okay.  If it's close, you need new one's anyway.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 11:58:52 am »

Most places don't measure they just look.  So if you have at least some tread left before the wear marks on the tire it should be okay.  If it's close, you need new one's anyway.

Perhaps this explains why I couldn't get a straight answer out of the couple of shops which I questioned over the weekend.   Undecided

Trying to get an old winter beater safetied & sold, but not interested in spending money that I don't have to.  There is ~4mm left (about 1.5mm away from the wear bars) on two of the tires which is enough to keep me happy, but I don't want to play games with subjective inspectors.

Given the MTO's love of paperwork, I expect there's a published spec somewhere, which eliminates any potential debate.

2ML67
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 02:00:55 pm »

Borrow good tires for safety then swap back after safety. Oops did I say that.
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 02:21:10 pm »

There is a value, but I don't know it. The garages that do safeties have a book with all the info, but mechanics are lazy they think they know it all.
PBJ
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 06:06:22 pm »

to fail a safty in Ontario the tread must be even with the wear bar in 2 places.

which is pretty much bald.

Pete
FieroDough
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 06:37:02 pm »

now.. if you were a bad persone. *hint nudge* you can take a dremel tool and shave a bit of the wear bars down. Smiley  makes the tire look new-er. Tongue

now... is that a nice thing to do? no.. can you borrow my dremel? yes!

Cheers!
Eric
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 09:30:47 am »

Borrow good tires for safety then swap back after safety. Oops did I say that.

Smiley

Thought about it...  but I don't know anyone who has 13" rims & tires which would mate up to a 15 year old VW well enough to borrow them.

Assuming that wear bar comment is true, what's on there now should be good for the ol' inspection....

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 09:35:23 am »

now.. if you were a bad persone. *hint nudge* you can take a dremel tool and shave a bit of the wear bars down. Smiley  makes the tire look new-er. Tongue

See Gary?  Baby angle-grinders aren't just for fun after all!  Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Tread depth « previous next »
Jump to: