Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:53:56 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Autocross - helmet requirements? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Autocross - helmet requirements?  (Read 2031 times)
Tonker
« on: August 17, 2002, 01:48:56 pm »

I've signed up for the MCO driving course tomorrow and they say you need a helmet for this. I know they have some you can borrow at the events, so I'm hoping to be able to get one there tomorrow. What I'm wondering are what the requirements are for the helmets and where is the best place to buy them from? Also a price range would be good too.
34FieroGT
Ottawa Fiero Member
Fiero Know-it-all

This, is my BOOMSTICK!!!

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2002, 03:31:30 pm »

I'm not 100% sure on the helmet requirements, but I believe that you will need at least an M95, or better.  I think that the 'M' designates a motorcycle helmet.  I have a SA2000 rated helmet that I picked up at the Ottawa Good Times Center (motorcycle store) on Hunt Club, right by Merivale.  I think it was around $300 or so.  Prices will vary depending on whether or not you want  an open faced or close faced helmet, manufacturer, and other things.  I would suggest checking out the MCOs website (www.mco.org) for more info, but their FAQ seems to be a little out of date...

tyler...
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2002, 04:47:07 pm »

When I ran the last event, there was NO trouble snagging a club helmet for your run.  I think it was an extra $5 at registration.  Well worth it, unless you can borrow one from a cycling buddy.

The MCO site has last year's info and Tyler is correct in the M95 rating for current regs.

I would bet they bring them to the school as these are the folks who would most likely need them.  
Boy-z
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2002, 05:33:02 pm »

I HAVE A HELMET IT IS A LARGE AND IT IS BRAND NEW i BOUGHT IT AT THE OTTAWA GOOGTIME CENTER FOR MY WIFE WHEN I HAD MY KAWI 1100 SHE HAS LOTS OF HAIR SO IT IS A LARGE BUT YOU ARE WELCOME TO USE IT.
Boy-z
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2002, 05:33:59 pm »

ALSO I FORGOT IT IS A FULL FACIAL HELMET
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2002, 06:41:50 pm »

I hope that doesn't mean she has a lot of facial hair....hehehe
Tonker
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2002, 09:17:21 pm »

Cool! Thanks for the advice guys. Smiley

I'm going to assume that I can get a helmet there.  If I get into it seriously I'll pick a helmet up - right now I'm more interested in learning how to drive less poorly than I currently do. Wink
Tonker
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2002, 09:00:19 pm »

That course is definately worth the money if you haven't taken a similar course guys.  It's an absolute blast and you learn a lot about how the car handles under stress - this has its good and bad points.

Big thumbs up on it! Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Autocross - helmet requirements? « previous next »
Jump to: